2016 tahoe, how long do these fuel pumps last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

louu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just got a new to me 2016 tahoe. It has 130k miles on it.

I also have a 2002 Silverado I've had since 2004 with just under 400k miles on it. I've had to put a fuel pump on that truck about every 100k miles.

Do these newer 2016 tahoe's still have fuel pump issues? I'm just wondering if I should change the pump before it leaves me startnded?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

What @homesick said is soooo true. Think of 1/4 tank as empty. Also, the older ones have a separate fuel filter and too old makes the pump work too hard to push fuel. Also, the quality of fuel makes a difference.

As easy as it is to monitor fuel pressure, you can plan ahead because it will never break down in your driveway.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JIC, do you fill up at the 1/4 tank mark? Leaving that last 1/4 tank's worth helps cool your pump, which helps it last longer.
My '01 Tahoe went about 20 years on the original pump.
You must've changed your fuel filter pretty often.

You can't change the newfangled fuel filters without dropping the tank. Seems kinda dumb,
but then I remembered that, for GM , this is a great idea!

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must've changed your fuel filter pretty often.

You can't change the newfangled fuel filters without dropping the tank. Seems kinda dumb,
but then I remembered that, for GM , this is a great idea!
In the 23 year life of that truck, that's the only time the tank's been dropped.

joe

OP
OP
louu

louu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@homesick thanks bud. Not really, I drive a lot and usually run it down to an eighth or less. I understand how it works but I don't want to go to the gas station everyday lol.

@OR VietVet thanks for the welcome!

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it. That's my opinion. It could go out tomorrow or it could last you another 130k. It's not really a "wear item" per se. It either works or it doesn't. And if you get lucky when it does go you might be able to bring it back to life a time or 2 by pounding on the tank.

My work beater (little 2 door pontiac) just rolled over 270k and I've thought many times about replacing the starter and alternator on it since both are still original and could leave me stranded. I could pop start it if the starter did go. But anyways if I would have changed either of them out like I really wanted too when I hit 150k. There's a possibility the replacement one would have went bad already. While the original is still going. Probably jinxed myself now lol.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@homesick thanks bud. Not really, I drive a lot and usually run it down to an eighth or less. I understand how it works but I don't want to go to the gas station everyday lol.

@OR VietVet thanks for the welcome!
Well, then, guess what, you have no one but yourself to blame when that pump has ran too hot too many times and konks out quicker than normally would

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it. That's my opinion. It could go out tomorrow or it could last you another 130k. It's not really a "wear item" per se. It either works or it doesn't. And if you get lucky when it does go you might be able to bring it back to life a time or 2 by pounding on the tank.

My work beater (little 2 door pontiac) just rolled over 270k and I've thought many times about replacing the starter and alternator on it since both are still original and could leave me stranded. I could pop start it if the starter did go. But anyways if I would have changed either of them out like I really wanted too when I hit 150k. There's a possibility the replacement one would have went bad already. While the original is still going. Probably jinxed myself now lol.
Pop start it? You mean jump start or you have a 2015 manual transmission Suburban?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffDubya

Latest posts