2021 6.2 Tahoe eats oil like crazy - is this truck getting lifter issues soon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured that my 2021 Tahoe is eating oil like crazy meanwhile. MPG went down, too. I didn't took it too serious but since I read again about the lifter issues I took a closer look again and yeah... I had the oil changed 6,000 miles ago and since then I've put in a quart of extra oil at least. And today I checked it and see nothing on the dipstick anymore. So another quart would be necessary. Ran the engine for a minute or so before I measured as the 6.2 was cold. Average mpg went down from 17.4. to 16 in the last months and performance wise I don't think it's going as nice as a Cadillac with the same engine that I just test drove. Could be all subjective OR the beginning of trouble. Mechanic in the shop tells me that it's normal that it consumes oil... but THAT much?! What's your experience? Is this oil consumption concerning?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the engine is covered for a while under the powertrain warranty, I wouldn't like... say, trade it next week, but if it's doing that and or getting worse you know something is imminently coming.

I personally would not keep any vehicle that "eats" oil... Not a one I've had in 20+ years ever did, Including this LM2... Maybe I'm lucky.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2022 Yukon also eats oil. But I noticed that it depends on the manner of driving. If I'm driving around the city, then the first topping up of oil takes about 4-5 thousand miles after a change. If I'm driving on the highway and I'm driving fast on the highway. About 80-105 miles per hour, topping up is required after 2000 miles. And then I top up about every 500 miles for 0.5 quarts

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this still under warranty? I'd get the dealer involved in this if so. Have them change the oil and document consumption. Pretty sure that's a ring problem and it will only get worse with the new style ring packages. You are running premium fuel in this?

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this still under warranty? I'd get the dealer involved in this if so. Have them change the oil and document consumption. Pretty sure that's a ring problem and it will only get worse with the new style ring packages. You are running premium fuel in this?
There are no problems with rings there. This is a feature of our engines that eat 0w20 oil. Just top up and do not look at the rate of oil consumption

dbacksdad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured that my 2021 Tahoe is eating oil like crazy meanwhile. MPG went down, too. I didn't took it too serious but since I read again about the lifter issues I took a closer look again and yeah... I had the oil changed 6,000 miles ago and since then I've put in a quart of extra oil at least. And today I checked it and see nothing on the dipstick anymore. So another quart would be necessary. Ran the engine for a minute or so before I measured as the 6.2 was cold. Average mpg went down from 17.4. to 16 in the last months and performance wise I don't think it's going as nice as a Cadillac with the same engine that I just test drove. Could be all subjective OR the beginning of trouble. Mechanic in the shop tells me that it's normal that it consumes oil... but THAT much?! What's your experience? Is this oil consumption concerning?
I'm dealing with the same problems in my 2023 Tahoe with the 5.3. I have had to add 2-3 quarts in between oil changes and chevy dealer is saying its normal. Its not.. I fought them to finally do an oil consumption test and they put some sort of tamper seal on the filler neck and drain plug believe.

Next step is to take it back to them when the low oil light comes on again ( which it will)

I would start documenting everything or have them start doing the oil changes for you so its all recorded if you can. Very disappointing when we spend this kind of money on a truck and this is something we have to deal with

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not wait until low oil light comes on. Ask for a proper oil consumption test. You will void your warranty if you let your engine run low of oil, as well as destroy it. Like it or not, GM considers any consumption less than 1qt/1000 miles normal. Work with your dealer, not against them.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree it's not normal to have to add a quart of oil every few thousand miles. It's either leak(s) or something not-so-good going on in the engine! I've had both situations in my life-time :)

You don't say if you have leaks - but I would start there and either confirm (and fix) or rule it out and if no leak - then focus on the engine operation.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t see any leaks. However it concerned me that much that I traded it in for an Escalade. No regrets whatsoever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielmcc