2022 Tahoe vs 2023 Sequoia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiseGuy24

Reaction score
Not sure why they would dump IRS and have less cargo space. I owned a couple of Sequoia's and the space behind third row was not bad and was better than Tahoe (at the time).

Savage Pancake

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve always thought Toyota interiors looked kinda cheap and covered in plastic but that new interior is a step in the right direction, other than that huge screen. I really like these new GM interiors though and the improved 3rd row is great. I’m 6’3” and have rode back there in our XL a couple times and it was spacious back there compared to before
They are still covered in plastic; all the seating is polyurethane (sequoia TRD Pro). Disappointing, esp. considering the Sequoia TRD PRO will more than likely be $70k+

YhEnThAlPy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just ordered 22 expedition timberline yesterday. I was considering between Z71 and timberline primarily, new sequoia is out of my choice after I saw the middle floor bump in second row, small third row space and weird rear trunk configuration. Here are reasons why I chose timberline:

1. car seat friendly second row, it support tilt and slide so you don’t need to fold the second row to enter third. Z71 can only support complete fold.

2. Middle seat head rest in the middle of second and third row seat. I have two small kids so I will put two car seat in second row and either me or my wife can sit in the middle seat, having head rest is much safer.
All of these GM suvs don’t have it.

3. Adaptive cruise control. Z71 doesn’t support. My daily commute car is a Tesla and autopilot is great. I can’t drive a car that doesn’t even have ACC.

4. Higher safety score. Expedition is 5 star vs Tahoe which is 4 star.

5. Interior looks, I prefer timberline interior over Z71. I like GMC Denali interior but doesn’t like the exterior chromes, also I want to rugged look SUV.

5. No price mark up. Ford dealer said they can do x-plan price vs Chevy dealers have 10K markups in my area(Seattle).

I think I will miss the V8 (though timberline actually has more power) and magnetic damper(smoother ride?) but it’s ok..

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered 22 expedition timberland yesterday. I was considering between Z71 and timberland primarily, new sequoia is out of my choice after I saw the middle floor bump in second row, small third row space and weird rear trunk configuration. Here are reasons why I chose Timberland:

1. car seat friendly second row, it support tilt and slide so you don’t need to fold the second row to enter third. Z71 can only support complete fold.

2. Middle seat head rest in the middle of second and third row seat. I have two small kids so I will put two car seat in second row and either me or my wife can sit in the middle seat, having head rest is much safer.

3. Adaptive cruise control. Z71 doesn’t support. My daily commute car is a Tesla and autopilot is great. I can’t drive a car that doesn’t even have ACC.

5. Interior looks, I prefer timberland interior over Z71. I like GMC Denali interior but doesn’t like the exterior chromes, also I want to rugged look SUV.

5. No price mark up. Ford dealer said they can do x-plan price vs Chevy dealers have 10K markups in my area(Seattle).

I think I will miss the V8 (though timberland actually has more power) and magnetic damper(smoother ride?) but it’s ok..
Doesn't the Expy have a new continual suspension type system similar to GM's magnaride system?

YhEnThAlPy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doesn't the Expy have a new continual suspension type system similar to GM's magnaride system?
The timberline order configuration only says offroad shock and suspension. IIRC the higher trims do have some kind of adaptive suspension.

Last edited:

sanman28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered 22 expedition timberline yesterday. I was considering between Z71 and timberline primarily, new sequoia is out of my choice after I saw the middle floor bump in second row, small third row space and weird rear trunk configuration. Here are reasons why I chose timberline:

5. Interior looks, I prefer timberline interior over Z71. I like GMC Denali interior but doesn’t like the exterior chromes, also I want to rugged look SUV.

I think I will miss the V8 (though timberline actually has more power) and magnetic damper(smoother ride?) but it’s ok..
I have a 20’ fx4 expy….and a new Denali. The expy feels faster…..and your timberline will have more power. That being said, I’m switching to an AT4 as soon as it’s built. The GMC is better quality interior and layout, IMO, than my FX4. I’m sure the new timberline is awesome though and i would have ordered one if that option had been available sooner. I do find it humorous that ford clearly copied the AT4 front end when they designed the timberline. Even on mine, i cant really tell a difference on ride quality. They are all so good now it seems trivial.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 20’ fx4 expy….and a new Denali. The expy feels faster…..and your timberline will have more power. That being said, I’m switching to an AT4 as soon as it’s built. The GMC is better quality interior and layout, IMO, than my FX4. I’m sure the new timberline is awesome though and i would have ordered one if that option had been available sooner. I do find it humorous that ford clearly copied the AT4 front end when they designed the timberline. Even on mine, i cant really tell a difference on ride quality. They are all so good now it seems trivial.
Did your 2020 FX4 have a 3.73 rear end? The ratios between the Ford and GM 10 speeds are exactly the same.

YhEnThAlPy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious what made you to do the switch from Denali to AT4?

sanman28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your 2020 FX4 have a 3.73 rear end? The ratios between the Ford and GM 10 speeds are exactly the same.
Yes. I think all the FX4 with the tow package are 3.73. That could be it, but the turbo engine builds torque differently i bet. I have not driven the AT4 yet, and my wifes denali does not have the tow package....so time will tell. I like them all honestly, and if money was not an issue id keep the ford to drive on odd days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
achurchman