2023 Suburban Premier 5.3L 4WD - Observations and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
Yep that's it. Every 5.3L Yukon I've seen doesn't have the quad exhaust unless you get the 6.2. Just checked other adds for the Suburban Premier 5.3 and they have quad exhaust. How cool!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the response and especially for this helpful tip. I had no idea that a locksmith could do this!! I assumed that these new keyless FOBs were some kind of proprietary digital thing that GM would have to supply.

Thanks again!
The locksmith will also program the new FOB to your specific truck as part of the service, and you'll be done within 15 minutes.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to know that there are Premiers with 5.3s floating around out there. Gonna have to keep an eye on ads, same for the RST. It's good that they left it optional for people who have the higher trim but not the bigger engine.

Carfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you sure your auto start/stop actually works? Many 21 and 22 Suburbans didn't include this feature along with adjustable peddles, and lumbar adjustments due to chip shortages. For the record I've not seen many vehicles that handle the stop start feature well.

In our other car we had to have the feature deactivated because there were a couple close calls where the vehicle literally turned off while rolling into the left lane to make a turn through traffic.

On the other hand, I am not sure whether now the dealer is required to re-install features that weren't able to be installed at the factory. Might be worth checking.

Kittywhopper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can shop for a key FOB by going on the GM web to get an idea of what a key FOB would cost new then go on the internet and find one reasonably priced careful of China junk!, but the only thing is a lot of times you may have to go to the dealer to program the key FOB to your Tahoe. If the dealer gave you 1 key FOB then the chances of getting a second one probably won't happen with my experinece I have been there many of times!. But you never know! It took me years to find a GMC dealership that I can trust!
We just traded our 2021 Chevy Tahoe Premier which had a 5.3L, I am not much of a fan of the 6.2L, fuel mileage. The new 2024 High Country has the 6.2L or the 3.0L diesel they don't offer the 5.3L in the High Country only in the Premier. we traded our 2021 Tahoe Premier in for a 2024 GMC Yukon Denali Ultimate with the 3.0L diesel they are an awesome engine with 30 miles per gallon or better on the highway! Plus to go with the Yukon we also have the 2024 3500 Denali Ultimate diesel another awesome truck! for towing, and a 2024 GMC Denali 3.0L diesel. 2nd 1500 3.0L diesel.

JGinLA

Reaction score
Muslogy dash storage tray insert fits behind radio screen (Amazon). Wife hated tablet on top of dash until I installed this. It comes with a fastener but I never saw need for it. It was $20 two years ago.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any and all ideas or suggestions.

Just took delivery of a 2023 Suburban Premier 5.3L (4WD) with 12,000 miles on it. Bought it from Carvana (my first internet vehicle purchase) and overall the experience has been positive. I have 7 days to return the vehicle if I'm not happy with it.

The price seemed to be competitive ($54,500) in my view, especially for a 4WD with low mileage and clean Carfax. Plus they made me a fair offer on my trade-in. The 2023 does have one minor, quarter sized blemish on the front driver side fender where someone did an amateurish job touching up a scratch.

Here are my initial thoughts and observations, as well as a few questions:

1. What are the most common problems with the 2022(+) drivetrain on the 5.3L / 4WD? I traded in a 2015 Suburban LT and loved it. I got 130,000 miles out of it without a single mechanical failure. Hoping and praying I'll have the same experience with this 2023.

2. What are the most desirable or "must have" upgrades or modifications on these current 5.3L Tahoes and Suburbans? I am 99.9% sure that I want to install an AutoStop Eliminator - but does anyone know if this causes warranty issues with GM? Any other suggestions or recommended modifications?

3. A few other miscellaneous observations:

The shifting feels a little weird to me. This could be due to the fact that my 2015 had a 6 speed transmission whereas the 2023 has a 10 speed, so perhaps I'm just feeling more shifts?

I'm disappointed that they took away the adjustable pedal feature. I loved that feature on my 2015 Suburban LT and I was surprised to discover that it isn't on the Premier trim package.

4. My only gripe (so far) about Carvana is that they did not disclose that it only came with one key. I haven't priced a spare key yet, but still ... bummer. Any thoughts about whether I should make a stink over the issue? Would it be worth it? To be fair, the listing didn't say anything about the number of keys, and I didn't ask. But they asked multiple times if my trade-in came with 2 or more keys, so clearly it's a big deal to them when they are buying!

Thanks for any feedback! I'm enjoying the forum so far and have already learned a lot.
On my new Tahoe, the "must have upgrades" 1) Install device that permanently overrides engine stop-start. There's a good chance the vehicle already has it. I use the one that installs behind the dash, it retains full functionality, but it remembers your selection and KEEPS it that way. 2) Disable Daytime Running Lights. the Chevrolet dealer can easily do this through programming. Most government vehicles or law-enforcement vehicles have them turned off for economic reasons. Some dealers won't do this. This may be more difficult for you because you don't have a relationship with any dealer.

BacDoc

Reaction score
On my new Tahoe, the "must have upgrades" 1) Install device that permanently overrides engine stop-start. There's a good chance the vehicle already has it. I use the one that installs behind the dash, it retains full functionality, but it remembers your selection and KEEPS it that way. 2) Disable Daytime Running Lights. the Chevrolet dealer can easily do this through programming. Most government vehicles or law-enforcement vehicles have them turned off for economic reasons. Some dealers won't do this. This may be more difficult for you because you don't have a relationship with any dealer.
Why disable daytime running lights? What is the economic advantage of disabling daytime running lights?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nava95