3.42s to 4.10s....pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BogeyBoy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of my truck being a dog off the line. My old TBSS had 4.10s (and a lot more power lol) but had so much more giddy up from a dead stop. I'm really considering doing 4.10s and a tune. I thought 3.73s but that probably won't be enough of a difference to feel anything.

Thoughts on a 4.10 swap in a 5.3 2008 from 3.42.

How much are the MPGs gonna go down and how much is the performance feel gonna go up? Any other downsides? I do about 70/30 city/highway driving and never go over 90

Sancho

Reaction score
Depends on your highway driving, really. The Tahoe I just test drove was an '08 with the 3.73's and felt adequate around town and sat at 2k rpms at 70mph. Not sure how much the 4.10s would change that, but there's some 3.73 info that may be helpful to you. If I had a ton of highway driving to do, I think I'd stick with that combo.

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
Do you have 4L60 or 6L80 transmission?

Edit: Does the truck have any performance enhancing modifications? A CAI, exhaust and BB tune improved my Yukon's drivability including rate of acceleration. Something as drastic as a gear change would be last resort for me personnaly due to the overall impact to gas mileage, but that's just my .02

OP
OP
B

BogeyBoy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a CAI sitting in my garage ready to install. I'm gonna do a BB tune as well but thought about doing this in combination with the gears to kill the speedo calibration bird at the same time

Sierkonblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start doing the easy mods before you do something as drastic as a gear swap. What your probably feeling is the torque management. Once you get a tune and remove that crap, it'll feel like you just picked up 50hp..

OP
OP
B

BogeyBoy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try the CAI and the BB tune and see where that gets me. If that don't do the trick I'll 4.10 swap it. If that doesn't do the trick it's getting sold or supercharged. I don't need a bat outta hell but I need something more than a butterfly outta hell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968