5.3 Tick/Knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I have an 02 Suburban. 200k miles on the 5.3L.

Noticed today this tick/knock sound. What's this sound like to you? Lifter, rod, or exhaust leak?

I do have a broken exhaust manifold bolt right near where I'm hearing this from, but I can't help but think, "this doesn't really sound like an exhaust leak."

Whats your thoughts based on the video? You might need headphones to hear it.

Video:

viven44

Reaction score
Does sound like an exhaust leak...

Sound different with engine hot/cold ?
Any check engine light / codes ?
How does the oil pressure look ?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi I have an 02 Suburban. 200k miles on the 5.3L.

Noticed today this tick/knock sound. What's this sound like to you? Lifter, rod, or exhaust leak?

I do have a broken exhaust manifold bolt right near where I'm hearing this from, but I can't help but think, "this doesn't really sound like an exhaust leak."

Whats your thoughts based on the video? You might need headphones to hear it.

Video:
does kinda of sound like a lifter tick but exhaust leaks can sound almost identical.
you might want to fix the broken bolt and see if it goes away if not then pull the valve cover off and inspect from the topside.
sometimes a little snake oil can clear it up, at 200k probably wouldn't hurt to try

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does sound like an exhaust leak...

Sound different with engine hot/cold ?
Any check engine light / codes ?
How does the oil pressure look ?
Thanks for the response!

sound is the same whether hot or cold, makes no difference at all. This makes me suspect a lifter a bit more.

No CEL at all, and runs very very smooth.

Oil pressure is amazing. Around 60-65 psi on cold start, once warmed up it has around 37-40psi at all times.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does kinda of sound like a lifter tick but exhaust leaks can sound almost identical.
you might want to fix the broken bolt and see if it goes away if not then pull the valve cover off and inspect from the topside.
sometimes a little snake oil can clear it up, at 200k probably wouldn't hurt to try
Yeah it’s very hard to tell. I’m worried about pulling these manifolds off and breaking a ton more bolts. There’s one broken on the drivers side too, but no weird noises from that bank.

The valve covers will be coming off soon anyways, it needs valve cover gaskets badly lol. I’ll feel for any play in the rocker arms or anything up there, and if I find one with play I’ll pull it off, inspect the rocker and the pushrod.

Definitely going to try a snake oil as well. I’m going to throw some Rislone Engine Treatment into it. I actually had great luck with it. I had a 94 K1500 at one point that had a nasty lifter tick. Threw the stuff in and the tick was pretty much gone lol.

Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I failed to mention, I tried using a clamp for the broken manifold bolt. The bolt that’s broken is the second to last bolt on the passenger side(toward firewall, one away from the back one). I used Dorman 917-142. However it’s clearly not the right clamp that I need. It seems this clamp is only for the last bolt and not the second to last one on the passenger side. Not sure if they even make one for the second to last bolt.

In the picture attached, you can see the arrow I drew. That’s the bolt that’s broken on my rear passenger side. Obviously that clamp won’t work to clamp that, I’m stupid for not looking at this before I bought it. Just wondering if there’s a clamp that will?

Attachments

• 3552C5BF-09B9-4F0C-9DF8-D8C10ED65777.jpeg
    3552C5BF-09B9-4F0C-9DF8-D8C10ED65777.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 2

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I failed to mention, I tried using a clamp for the broken manifold bolt. The bolt that’s broken is the second to last bolt on the passenger side(toward firewall, one away from the back one). I used Dorman 917-142. However it’s clearly not the right clamp that I need. It seems this clamp is only for the last bolt and not the second to last one on the passenger side. Not sure if they even make one for the second to last bolt.

In the picture attached, you can see the arrow I drew. That’s the bolt that’s broken on my rear passenger side. Obviously that clamp won’t work to clamp that, I’m stupid for not looking at this before I bought it. Just wondering if there’s a clamp that will?
valve covers are not difficult per say the passenger side is a little harder simply because of more things in the way. I recommend using the fel-pro gaskets
the last bolt on the passenger side near the firewall is harder to reach but can be done without a lot of work you just gotta push on the firewall padding to get a socket on it
I think the fel-pro gaskets come with new grommets also as the old ones will probably crumble away when touched due to age. just oil them up a little and feed them in with whatever fits

if it's all greasy I would use some purple power or whatever engine degreaser you like, spray it up all over real good and pressure wash it first, that makes it easier to work on and also any fresh leaks afterwards will be easy to find. just avoid soaking under the intake or getting water directly in the alternator. I wash mine up about every 6 months just to keep it nice and clean and to watch for leaks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
valve covers are not difficult per say the passenger side is a little harder simply because of more things in the way. I recommend using the fel-pro gaskets
the last bolt on the passenger side near the firewall is harder to reach but can be done without a lot of work you just gotta push on the firewall padding to get a socket on it
I think the fel-pro gaskets come with new grommets also as the old ones will probably crumble away when touched due to age. just oil them up a little and feed them in with whatever fits
Yeah they’re a little bit of a pain, I had an 05 Tahoe a year and a half ago. Did valve cover gaskets on that and it wasn’t fun but wasn’t hard either.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
edited my post above, degreasing it first helps
Yeah good idea on the degreasing part will definitely do that.

Snake oil is in. Rislone engine treatment. No difference so far. So either the lifter is pretty collapsed or it’s an exhaust leak.

It runs good though so I think I’ll just ignore it for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgorabit

Latest posts