5.3 Tick/Knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are seeing is probably within realm of what is normal for a high mileage engine. By no means an example engine, but the bottom end is usually nasty and sludge does end up there, so do metal shavings.

If your oil pressure returns to where it needs to be, you are probably fine.

But I'd want more inputs from the folks here on what color O-ring is used. If i am not mistaken the original O-ring was either a Red or a Blue..... you seeing a green means someone has been in it already (??)
Ok well that’s good to hear, I don’t think the previous owner did many oil changes lol.

And maybe the oring isn’t quite green. Kind of a turquoise color. Definitely hasn’t been opened, pan still had factory rivets.

viven44

Reaction score
Ok well that’s good to hear, I don’t think the previous owner did many oil changes lol.

And maybe the oring isn’t quite green. Kind of a turquoise color. Definitely hasn’t been opened, pan still had factory rivets.
Well... if the pan has been dropped for the first time ever, what you are seeing is well within norm for 200K miles!!! Unless you changed the oil every 3000 miles you will build non-zero sludge over time. Didn't the valve train look clean ??? In extreme cases you will even see sludge in the valve train. At any rate, you DO NOT have a spring chicken. Love that engine and transmission. Don't try any 0-60s. Use the vehicle to go from point A to point B.. you can probably still get another 150K miles out of it ;)

Just double check on the O-ring color/style. If the inner diameter and outer diameter seem comparable to the old one and in fact the OD is slightly larger since the old one is squished, I'd say you are safe.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... if the pan has been dropped for the first time ever, what you are seeing is well within norm for 200K miles!!! You DO NOT have a spring chicken. Love that engine and transmission. Don't try any 0-60s. Use the vehicle to go from point A to point B.. you can probably still get another 150K miles out of it ;)

Just double check on the O-ring color/style. If the inner diameter and outer diameter seem comparable to the old one and in fact the OD is slightly larger since the old one is squished, I'd say you are safe.
Sounds good! Thank you very much! Definitely don't plan on any 0-60s haha!

And will do. I already have the pan reinstalled with the new oring in it, but to keep it safe, I have ordered a second one of the second oring(its only $2.50) lol and it'll be here tomorrow. From there I'll compare it to the old one which I still have and make sure they're similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Galactic23

Latest posts