5.3L no compression cylinder #6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

D_middlestead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry so long but this is it all. Well I have a call into the gm dealership that I took it too. I didn't mention before but this all starting happening about 2-3 weeks ago. Wife hit a pole at gas station so it was getting body repair. One the way home from picking it up from there all oil pressure dropped and warning systems came on saying no oil pressure stop engine immediately. No funny noise coming from the motor and no power loss. At the same time the battery light came on saying problem with charging system. I pulled over and stopped motor right away. While waiting for aaa to save me I tried starting trouble shooting. Oil level fine, no funny noise from motor, and for better of terms seemed to run normal. All oil lights came on whil I was trouble shooting but battery light seemed to reset and seemed normal. Long story short I didn't want to risk it so I had it towed. When aaa arrive the driver attempted to start my car but battery was dead. He got it on and the next morning started working right away. Pulled the alternator off and took it down to get tested (which was a chore gm put an alternator that no one has proper tester for accept very few places). Kragen was able to test it after 1 store near me had the proper equipment. Test came back fine and alternator good??? So got back home threw it back on and took battery down for test. Came back bad and not holding a charge. I bought the battery from aaa a year ago so still under warranty. Aaa came out after I put it all back together, they started the car right up and retested the battery and it came back fine on their test so the did not replace it. Not sure what happened but battery issue seems resolved. Battery and charging system have not been an issue since. Thought it was odd that both issues came up at once and now seems charging system fine. While aaa was testing the battery I thought I heard some king of gargling noise coming from the right side of the motor which is where #6 is. I took it to gm dealership who said they did a manual oil pressure test and came back as 40 psi while dash read 0. Paid 135 for a full diagnostic due to the noise I heard and they said engine is great and nothing was wrong. I did have a worn motor mount and they said the oil pan gasket was leaking. they wanted to replace the sending unit and filter under it and all the other work for around 1800. Long story short I towed it back home for free with aaa and replaced the sending unit that I had a life time warranty on because I just replaced about 1-2 years age for free. And simple cleaned the filter that was under the sending unit for free. The car ran good from then out, but oil pressure seemed lower than normal and was defiantly not reading 40 psi like dealership said. I have not replaced motor mount but inspected it and it does need to be replaced but not totally shot yet. Motor was not shaking abnormally but it is on the list now. Oil pan gasket I inspected too and don't see any visible leak and no oil coming from anywhere? So not to sure about that. Now my question is why was this not found when just in the shop. Could this be fine one day then just fail? Now I have a call back into the dealership but they have not returned my calls yet. Your thoughts on that and I'll update on the call back.

OP
OP
D

D_middlestead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok finally got ahold of dealer and they are going to pull valve cover and check valves. He said as soon as he pulls the cover he will be able to pin point problem. And the will do work for free for now. I'll keep u updated.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you get this resolved I suggest getting the AFM tuned out ASAP so that you no longer have to worry about it

50Chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tuning out the AFM is only a partial solution. I do agree that it will reduce the probability of future issues due to the system be inoperable and components receiving less wear and tear. The heart of the issue is that the AFM lifters are still in place and can collapse without warning. In addition, the AFM manifold is still receiving full oil pressure and internal leakages can still cause reduced operating oil pressure. If I ever have to do this repair again, I would replace all lifters with the revised LS7 lifters, delete the AFM oil manifold, and tune out the AFM. That is the only sure-fire way to eliminate problems and increase reliability.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^agree

OP
OP
D

D_middlestead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First off how would I disable the system and how do I know if my car has this system? I can't fine anything in the owner manuel about AFM system. Also I i do this is there any other negative effects that can happen from it. Also is I decide to do it and have gm do the work can I tell them to up the updated lifters in or will they only put in manufacture parts? Thanks for all the help so far guys. Car at shop now and I'll update u all when they call.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The dealer may install your requested lifters if you pay for them or pay the difference in price. Make sure they also install the updated valve cover with the new pcv system. Removing the AFM capability may be done at the dealer if you ask them or have another shop do the tune and remove it. Since the dealer id coving a lot of cost here then you may have to pony up some money for something like this. As far as whether it is AFM the dealer should be able to tell you, ask them.

OP
OP
D

D_middlestead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok talked to dealer. Collapsed intake lifter. I asked about AFM and they said if disabled the check engine light will always stay on. Also the want to charge 1900 for just the one lifter and 3200 to replace all. Any thoughts and does anyone know another reliable mechanic in Sacramento California?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Find another shop that is reliable. Look for ASE certifications in Engine work and performance. Any friends recommendations? I don't know a shop in Sacramento but I do here in Eugene, Or. :hmmm2:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks for a new shop! Exact same thing happened to me a year and a half ago. I opted to have all of the lifters replaced at the same time and it was $2000 just to give you an idea of cost but then again I'm in the Midwest so not sure if pricing makes a difference based on region.

...and with tuning out AFM. I got a tune from Blackbear Performance that tuned out the AFM as well as doing some other things and no check engine light at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968