6 12's or 4 15's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
capacitors are ONLY good if you have zero voltage drop and you want to boost the peak bass hits

they are constantly discharging all their power when the bass hits, with no reserve which means your alternator is constantly having to keep it charged but over time your voltage just keeps going down because it can't keep up

batteries are MUCH better

and 5k RMS at 3 ohm is going to be hard to find

5k at 1ohm will be easier

OP
OP
B0$$MAN

B0$$MAN

Boss of all Bosses
Reaction score
I think 12" is just the perfect sized subwoofer; hit real low, gets the highs, and it's just the all around best sub!

However, the amp is the tough part to charge the 6 type-r's. What should I do?

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

I am looking at either 1 Cadence ZRS-C5 Amplifier or adding another Hifonics Brutus BXi 2610d Amplifier. What do you guys think? How many watts RMS would I get to each one of my 6 12" type-r's?

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stetsom Amps are pricey but they do rated power at 2ohms. You could go with a Stetsom 7K2D and it will prolly run 5K at 3 ohms. But to get that kind of power out of the amp, you will need a good sized batt bank along with your dual alt setup. And you might as well trash those optimas. oh, and more runs of 1/0 you would probably want 1 run to the back batteries from each alt. then one run from the front battery to the rear batts. so that is three runs. as far as subs go, If you want to really be loud, get away from the apline/ retail mentality. Move more into the competition subs. IE: DD, Fi, RE, Ascendant audio, Incriminator audio, RD, Sundown......

Oh and check out thise site. www.floridaspl.com my user name is leamangriffin on there. Tons of great advice from many of the top audio competitors. Also, tons of build logs to look through to get ideas. Also lots of cool ppl, and no ads or nut huggers like meades site.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the 6 12s so you can ride around bumpin Weebie - "I Got 6 12s" lol, and you only need 2 more of those

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
anyone saying a 12 sounds better than a 15 or a 15 can play lower is wrong

its all in the box as Clean95 said

you can make a 12 play down to 20hz if you have the right box and the sub that will perform that low

so that shouldn't be any persuasion...

OP
OP
B0$$MAN

B0$$MAN

Boss of all Bosses
Reaction score
Stetsom Amps are pricey but they do rated power at 2ohms. You could go with a Stetsom 7K2D and it will prolly run 5K at 3 ohms. But to get that kind of power out of the amp, you will need a good sized batt bank along with your dual alt setup. And you might as well trash those optimas. oh, and more runs of 1/0 you would probably want 1 run to the back batteries from each alt. then one run from the front battery to the rear batts. so that is three runs. as far as subs go, If you want to really be loud, get away from the apline/ retail mentality. Move more into the competition subs. IE: DD, Fi, RE, Ascendant audio, Incriminator audio, RD, Sundown......

Oh and check out thise site. www.floridaspl.com my user name is leamangriffin on there. Tons of great advice from many of the top audio competitors. Also, tons of build logs to look through to get ideas. Also lots of cool ppl, and no ads or nut huggers like meades site.

For the most part, I agree with you about the retail mentality, but I've been an Alpine fan for some time. The Type-R's are a legit subwoofer.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

capacitors are ONLY good if you have zero voltage drop and you want to boost the peak bass hits

they are constantly discharging all their power when the bass hits, with no reserve which means your alternator is constantly having to keep it charged but over time your voltage just keeps going down because it can't keep up

batteries are MUCH better

and 5k RMS at 3 ohm is going to be hard to find

5k at 1ohm will be easier

Ya I can find 5k watt rms @ 1 ohm all day, but if my 6 12's are wired to 2.6 ohm then I'll need my amp to produce the power @ 3 ohm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
01greentahoe