6.2L Engine... What gas are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bad news is, fuel when it leaves the tank farm and is being transported, is a mere few cents different in grades. Wholesale cost let’s say for regular may be $3.00 per gallon then mid grade would be $3.10 and premium $3.20. Once it goes into the ground at the retailer, the margins GROW! We were Fuel wholesalers for about 10 years in the 80’s is how I know.

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes I have to laugh, i have a 6.2 in my Escalade... And it gets crap mileage... I don't drive it tons. I knew this before I bought it...

It gets 8-10 mpg in city stop light driving... and am I going to whine like a b*tch about gas prices and mileage? nope because I am an adult. I knew what I was getting into when
I bought it. I bought it used off a friend because it was in perfect condition and used gently. Do i need to drive a fricking house around? no. But I am not going to be a ridiculous person whining about gas mileage while driving a gas sucking giant vehicle... This vehicle didn't "accidentally" fall under my ownership...

That being said, I have tried 91 octane in cold months with no issues. Actually, I ran the low stuff accidentally and didn't notice any issues one tank.

JP63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes saving money on fuel is a big deal. If you think about how much extra you spend just on premium a year, it could easily be five to $800. Personally that’s why I searched out a Duramax. It was actually a discount, engine wise, and gets 40% better mileage. I fed a premium hog for years. (5.7 Hemi )…it was a 100.00 a wk habit. I didn’t care when premium was plus $.30 over regular unleaded. But now in many areas it’s plus $.60-$.80…that’s extortion. Diesel is higher than regular, about even with mid grade, but still far less than premium at least where we are…
How are you liking the Duramax performance? Did you tune it to increase boost or keeping it stock?

Runfor5

Reaction score
I have a 2014 and run 89, usually “mid grade”, in it. Only had the car about a year but no issues w that so far knock on wood. I agree w OP the cost adds up running 91 or higher all the time. And I’m not towing. Parents have a 2011 that they’ve ran 89 in for years and no issues (even tow with it).

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im currently running 91 on my 5.3 why because i can and its my money. As a matter a fact with this Ukraine crisis bought me a 14 gal gas tank and stocking up on fuel for the time being. Do a lot of short trips with this rig… Yolo

robhotdog

Reaction score
Do you own a owners
Manual? Read it! It will tell you everything you need to know on how and when to maintain your vehicle

gonatee

Reaction score
Octane rating needed is only to prevent knocking. So if you put 92 in a truck that only needs 87 to prevent knocking your wasting your money. The issue with modern cars is they have knock sensors. When your truck starts to knock it retards the timing to stop the knocking as it is very harmful to your engine. That also loses power. So your truck runs correctly and optimally with 92 octane. Its tuned for it. It is the most efficient with it. When you put a lower octane in it....you may not realize it due to the knock sensors, but its knocking....so your computer will adjust the tuning to try to prevent the knocking. It can only do it to a certain point. Knocking is detonation. That is an engine killer. Can you get away with a trip on 87 no load, not towing, no high heat.??...yes. Its not good to do. In the old days when we did this on a non computer vehicle you heard quite alot of knocking...which is damage. Your truck is designed and tuned for ONLY 92.

On a side note I feel your pain. I had a 2017 Denali, but the older generation got pretty good mileage. I routinely got 22-23 hwy. It was unforgiving if you floored it though. We went to buy a 2021 Denali, did the test drive, loved it. I was really surprised the mileage went down. Then spoke and read up that it was even worse than that. ??? I dont know what GM did, but it was a deal breaker for me. Then the lifter issue arose. We rented a '21 suburban for a month and the mileage was very good in the 5.3. I just dont want a 5.3 at that price point. The 3.0 was what I needed for towing and normal mileage. Early on they werent around yet, so we bought the Denali CC with 3.0. its our in-between truck till this insanity stops. Mileage is insane, torque is fantastic, tows great. So our next Yukon Denali will have the 3.0. Loved the speed and power of the 6.2 but todays version has unacceptable mileage. Hopefully prices come down, but I would run 92 if i owned it. Good luck

Pretty sure the motor is tuned and power specs derived off 93 octane fuel.... Which we dont even have in most states.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a tank of 87 in mind when I first got it and I could hear the knocks and the gas milage was notably worse. That was the end of that. Now I just shop around for gas since I have a 400 mile range on a full tank it’s not that hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgorabit