Actual Payloads on 23 and 24 Tahoe with Max TOW package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps consider a Suburban or Yukon XL. With the 3rd row in place there’s very little storage room in a Tahoe. I think it’s easier to find the hauling and payload limits you’re looking for in an XL but If you go with a Tahoe and the bench seat your family will fit in 2 rows. I guess it all depends on how often you need extra storage and if your young ones can sit next to each other on long rides.

iamlegion

Reaction score
When you say payload is your concern more than towing it might help to elaborate on that a bit so we can help holistically.

From what I read I’m assuming when you’re pulling the camper you’re planning on having the car packed full of people and stuff. You seem to have a good understanding of this stuff so I assume you already know loading the trailer with some of your stuff instead of the vehicle will help payload. Balancing the load in the trailer and having proper hitch height/weight distribution can be just as important as max payload.

Other than that what’s the extra payload weight coming from you are concerned with?

OP
OP
B

Beniskickbutt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Perhaps consider a Suburban or Yukon XL. With the 3rd row in place there’s very little storage room in a Tahoe. I think it’s easier to find the hauling and payload limits you’re looking for in an XL but If you go with a Tahoe and the bench seat your family will fit in 2 rows. I guess it all depends on how often you need extra storage and if your young ones can sit next to each other on long rides.
I was actually thinking about this now with the storage space. Originally with Tahoe my thought was if i really need more cargo too, I can always flip either the double or single space down in the back. Then I got to thinking about why not just go for more space. My only annoyance there would be now you are really at the length where you stick out of parking spots more.

When you say payload is your concern more than towing it might help to elaborate on that a bit so we can help holistically.

From what I read I’m assuming when you’re pulling the camper you’re planning on having the car packed full of people and stuff. You seem to have a good understanding of this stuff so I assume you already know loading the trailer with some of your stuff instead of the vehicle will help payload. Balancing the load in the trailer and having proper hitch height/weight distribution can be just as important as max payload.

Other than that what’s the extra payload weight coming from you are concerned with?
The reason i'm more concerned about payload stems from the weight that gets added from the tongue weight. I have some trailers in mind that would do well now but IF we hit the point where we decide we really do want a bigger trailer, I want to maximize the odds that we dont also need to go buy a new car as well. I come from a family that tends to keep to keep cars until the car "dies" which is something i also subscribe to.

Theres also just the bonus of having that extra payload means if the kids have cousins in town we can worry less about throwing more bodies in the car. They'll also continue to weigh more as time goes on. My parents also hooked us on camping when we were young but neither were really able to retire (yet). They enjoy coming along on vacations as well to spend time with the kids and also to just get away. I am a little more fortunate financially so I am happy to include them in all of our trips for both the baby sitting aspect and to payback for all they've done.

Overall its just trying to get a better picture of what I can attain so I can set my expectations correctly. The last car I purchased cost $15k so this is a much bigger investment, I like to plan ahead, future me usually ends up being grateful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTweedt70

Latest posts