Advice on purchasing a used 2003 with 100k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello I am in the process of looking for a car and found one that looks good and has had alot of work done to it. My question is should i see that as a good thing or bad thing. Below is all the things that have been done. The car has about 100k and is a 2003. Just curious if its something i should consider or move on. Thanks in advance

Things that have been done.
Radiator replaced and clean coolant
New air filter
New crank sensor
All new spark plugs and wires
New rotor cap
Fresh oil and filter
Oil pan gasket replaced
Fresh transmission fluid and filter
Transmission oil pan gasket replaced

also mentioned one issue
After the crank sensor was replaced mechanic showed it taking an extra crank on cold start, believed to be the fuel draining back into the tank slowly by the
check valve

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello I am in the process of looking for a car and found one that looks good and has had alot of work done to it. My question is should i see that as a good thing or bad thing. Below is all the things that have been done. The car has about 100k and is a 2003. Just curious if its something i should consider or move on. Thanks in advance

Things that have been done.
Radiator replaced and clean coolant
New air filter
New crank sensor
All new spark plugs and wires
New rotor cap
Fresh oil and filter
Oil pan gasket replaced
Fresh transmission fluid and filter
Transmission oil pan gasket replaced

also mentioned one issue
After the crank sensor was replaced mechanic showed it taking an extra crank on cold start, believed to be the fuel draining back into the tank slowly by the
check valve
? sumting wong hear

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think thats a typo from the ad. Its a 2003 chevy tahoe.
Ok, gotcha.

I mean, a lot of those items are regular maintenance items. Since the oil pan was replaced, I'd look closely at the rear main seal. Those tend to leak with high mileage and age and replacement is time consuming. Usually the oil pan gets replaced as first suspect.

But that mileage is very low, in my opinion. Plenty of GMT800s are now in the 200k-300k+ range and still driving.

My general assumption is: if the body/interior looks clean, the vehicle was more likely serviced. SUVs usually live a better life and get serviced better (family haulers) vs trucks, which a lot wind up as work trucks. Usually.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Also, how much are they asking for it? If it’s $2000 and runs & drives that’s a steal! Especially if it is 4x4… but if they are asking $25k then I would say you have a lot more options at that price.

OP
OP
L

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price is 3800 it has rocker panel rust but frame is solid. I also i guess my question is more of a survey lol. From what i am getting from the responses its worth a look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elwah