AFM Delete and California Smog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here where I live in TX not only did the state get rid of smog test that was in only the big blue cities, but I hear tale the safety inspection is going away. :waytogo: :peace::Caffeine::D

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. Definitely would not be able to go back to stock with an aftermarket DOD-delete cam. Most likely would not be able to drive it. If you are in California, you would have to make sure the cam is CARB certified. I had to show my carb sticker on my CAI each inspection. We have a lot of customers in states or localities that require inspections and their vehicles are modified. We haven't heard any feedback that they have failed due to the tune so that's good news.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, good to get different perspective and opinions.

When the time comes I'll just go to my normal smog guy and see what happens, I think he's a safe spot to test this at.

I guess the fear mongering of the auto shop guy from yesterday spooked me a bit but his information doesn't exactly align with what I've found in my own experience and research.

Quick side note - Jasper engines does make a CARB certified AFM deleted motor for these but that's not relevant.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here where I live in TX not only did the state get rid of smog test that was in only the big blue cities, but I hear tale the safety inspection is going away. :waytogo: :peace::Caffeine::D

yeah, they finally passed the vote to get rid of the useless check but to do it after 3 year's of failing they had to keep the 7$ fee built in. scum bags.

Austin is keeping its smog test and San Antonio is adding it the next year. I don't know if it's within the city limits or county thing. not sure about the rest of the big cities.

this and the property tax scam, this state annoys me. some times I miss Louisiana lol.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1 @donjetman Interesting, in California we don't have safety inspections only smog checks. Based on some things I've seen on the older chevy groups I'd say a safety check isn't unreasonable in the northern states because people will drive a truck with a rusted in half frame. I agree that the government should be as non intrusive as possible but in some cases some forced common sense is needed.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@j91z28d1 @donjetman Interesting, in California we don't have safety inspections only smog checks. Based on some things I've seen on the older chevy groups I'd say a safety check isn't unreasonable in the northern states because people will drive a truck with a rusted in half frame. I agree that the government should be as non intrusive as possible but in some cases some forced common sense is needed.

oh yeah. I'm mostly fine with it, but things don't rust here and they honestly don't check anything. for my cars I've watched them, they walk out, turn the head lights on, check the turn signal. record the mileage and come back in. it's not like they put them on a lift or something. I hear they are supposed to check the brakes, but I've never seen it. it's mostly just annoying.

I've seen some sketchy stuff on the road, but I also remember as a kid my mom had a old 68 chevy that smoked blue pretty bad. a cop pulled her over and gave her a fix it ticket. long before any smog or inspection was needed, cops can just keep an eye out for a junker on the road that looks unsafe and hand a fix it ticket. then you just needed to stop by the dmv with a receipt for some parts. life was easier.

I was very young and I seem to remember we took the car to junk yard instead of putting an engine in it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There have been studies done for years that show no appreciable increase in vehicle failure-related accidents in states that have mandatory vs those that don't. Here in Virginia, I have to waste 4 good mornings and afternoons every year dropping off and picking up one of our cars for an inspection that it will pass every single time, without fail. With modern cars, the whole safety and emissions inspection schemes are rackets. Just like state-run liquor stores. Oh here I go getting all pi55ed off... :p

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 cars x 1 inspection each per year. next one is coming up on Monday morning for the LR2. And I know it's 100% tip-top. Waste of time.
And even if it is tip top they try to find something to charge you extra for in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Csides