Alternator whine - but its not the usual suspects....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been chasing down an annoying whine on my (new to me) 07 Escalade for about a month now. The whine is 100% alternator related, as if I disconnect the + cable from the back of the alternator, the whine goes away. The alternator also seems to be under stress as I noticed a fair amount of belt rubber on the alternator after only a 100 miles of driving.

I've tried:

* 3x new alternators (AcDelco, WAI)
* A new belt
* A new battery (also bench tested the old battery)
* NO battery (disconnected the battery while the car was running)
* Cleaning the battery terminals & connectors with sand paper
* Cleaning the fusible link and connectors with sand paper
* Cleaning the negative cable that runs from the battery to the engine block passenger side
* Cleaning the negative cable that runs from the back of the engine block to the firewall drivers side.

While narrowing it down to the alternator, I also replaced these so they can be 100% ruled out as culprits:

* Idler pulley
* Tensioners (main and AC)
* Water pump
* Power steering pump

The car has no aftermarket audio or other power consuming devices. The alternators have all been 145A rated.

The car starts, runs and drives 100% fine.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post a pic or video of the main serp belt tensioner, so we can see where the marks land.

What model number belt are you using for the main belt?

What make and part number for the alternator that's on it in the new pic or video with the tensioner?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The belt I’m using is a Bando 6PK2370, alternator is ACDelco 335-1196 and the idlers and tensioners are all ACDelco too.

In my original post the alternator shown is an WAI as I’d just swapped the ACdelco out for it. But now I’ve reinstalled the ACDelco.

I’ll get a video in a few hours showing everything you said. The belt was a tight fit. I had to fully open up the tensioner and slip the belt over the idler to get it on.

BigSachsy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05 tahoe with an aftermarket system and I had terrible alternator whine for an entire year. Got a ground loop isolator, did the big 3, to no avail. Until the rear end went out and needed work. Had the rear differential, pinon bearing and rear drive shaft worked on and when the work was done, the alternator whine was gone. I read that sometimes alternator whine can be associated with drivetrain issues, so maybe something to consider. Good luck finding what it is.

OP
OP
J

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05 tahoe with an aftermarket system and I had terrible alternator whine for an entire year. Got a ground loop isolator, did the big 3, to no avail. Until the rear end went out and needed work. Had the rear differential, pinon bearing and rear drive shaft worked on and when the work was done, the alternator whine was gone. I read that sometimes alternator whine can be associated with drivetrain issues, so maybe something to consider. Good luck finding what it is.
That’s a really odd one! Was your whine only while driving?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The belt I’m using is a Bando 6PK2370, alternator is ACDelco 335-1196 and the idlers and tensioners are all ACDelco too.

In my original post the alternator shown is an WAI as I’d just swapped the ACdelco out for it. But now I’ve reinstalled the ACDelco.

I’ll get a video in a few hours showing everything you said. The belt was a tight fit. I had to fully open up the tensioner and slip the belt over the idler to get it on.
ACD 335-1196 is listed as a 160 amp alternator. Since the vehicle is new to you, you may have a engine not correct for the year 2007 escalade and not realize the difference.
The belt should be 6 ribs and about 94 inches long. idler wheels can be replaced without changing the mounting bracket.
You may have to find a 2007 Escalade with the same equipment and measure all the drive elements to establish what you have.
The whine sounds like the alternator is putting out a high amp load. A scanner that shows real time data will be helpful with the loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nissan84