Any Idea when the TAHOE will get 8 spd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broncophil

Reaction score
i'm in the market.. but dont want to get the 6 spd if the 8 is gonna come out..

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Orders are being taken now. 2015i. Lots of discussion on here about it.

Didnt read the TAHOE part - a bit distracted this morning. Probably 2016.

Last edited:

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're in dire need of the vehicle now the 6 speed is a proven solution that will certainly function and meet your needs. If you can wait I would recommend it; the 8 speed should be available in the 2016 model year and should offer better performance and fuel economy.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
wiki 8L90 for the 8 speed and 6L80 for the 6 speed and look at the final gear ration they are almost the same w that said there is no reason to wait. all GM is going to do is bump up the prices for the 8 speed auto.

final gear ratio for the 6 speed is .667
final gear ratio for the 8 speed is .65

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think those of us excited for the 8 speed are more interested in general driving characteristics as opposed to simple higher gearing on the freeway.

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it will no longer give you that "heaving forward" feeling when it downshifts.

Either way I love my 6 speed tahoe.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 2012 3/4 ton Suburban and had a 2010 1/2 ton before that. They have both had a version of the 6 speed and it was perfectly adequate for moving the truck down the road. That said, both of them suffer from the nothing, nothing, nothing, massivedownshift problem. I'm looking forward to a few more gears and a lot faster shifting.

PokerMunkee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this back up...

When would the 2016's start being built?

I'm willing to wait 6 months to buy the wife her new ride. Hope we get confirmation the 8 speed auto will be included in 2016 production.

We test drove a 2015 Tahoe LTZ and loved it. The wife could care less if it has a 6 or 8 speed auto, ha!