Anyone "Clay" their paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for insight on results of "claying" your paint before waxing...
My paint is kinda beat but am thinking about messing around with some clay just to see how deep I can make the paint shine...

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clay mostly takes out all the embedded dirt and tiny debris in the paint. IMO, definitely worth the time and effort to do it. I could literally feel the difference after I was done. Before I clayed, I set the detail spray bottle on my hood and it stayed. Did the same thing after clay and the bottle slid down the hood like it was on ice. Do it.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I claybar mine once a year in the spring....my finish is ridiculously smooth...or so I have been told by others ;) Definitely worth the time.....

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to piggyback on what everyone else said. It makes a major difference. I try to do my truck at least once a year, if I'm feeling good, maybe 2-3 times. It just makes me feel better, kinda like a thorough cleaning.

OP
OP
Oshkosh

Oshkosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,
My truck is showing a little age and neglect from the previous owner ,this sounds like a worthy project for me.
Just so happens we have a nice three day stretch of weather coming up...:)

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to clay each Spring and you can definitely 'feel' the difference in slickness to the finish but I think you get the most 'visual' bang-4-effort from the polishing steps prior to applying wax or sealant.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clay my cars at least once a year. They clean up easier afterwards and keeps the swirl marks to a minimum on my black car. My truck still has a new car shine to it. Recommend using quick detailer spray as well with it and ur paint will be nice amd smooth.
a6cd0a1a-33d5-0b22.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pjoe1320