average fuel economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bret04yuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the 6.0 and the 5.3 get different mpg. And tune, clean air, clean TB, clean injectors make worlds of diff.

Look at me. I'm lifted on 35s and getting stock dealer spec economy now.

^ wow! im jealous, 1. of your rig.....DAMN! and 2. 16mpgs! i will baby the heck out of my yukon 5.3 (55mph) actually takes some self control and patience, also kind of fun pissing off everyone who flys everywhere at 90, and the best i have ever achieved at 55-15.8mpg, 65-15.2, and 70-14mpg. should i do the full round tune up? and any other solutions that will get me to near 18?

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First check your compression and plugs, that is the best starting point. Then run an additive to burn off and deposits on the injectors and valves. I use Lucas fuel treatment every other fuel up. How you leave the stop matters also, tune always helps. But it is a lot of little gains adding up. No one instant fix.

dhulsey779

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm averaging 16-18 in the city & 19-22 on the highway. Now I only have done a few mods like the K&N CAI, & MBRP CAT Back exhaust. Still stock height with 20"rims, but hopefully when I lower the truck with NorcallSS 2/3 belltech drop kit I gain a few more. Not sure who said it but 60MPH is the sweet spot on these. Although I see tunes from BB / Superchips on these hoe's, doesn't seem to me that you gain fuel MPG really but I could be wrong.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think I could hit 21mpg if I cruised at 60 an entire trip.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
68 is my sweet spot for my 35s if flat hwy I'm 21. And that's damn happy for as big as I am. And slinging big mass around. My tune helped a lot. We also did a lot of trans tuning for shift points and mapping. And hours of engine tuning. The from the first tune till now (all 87octane) we have gained 3.6mpg average since we started fine tubing things.

Buddy now is working on a 90s 6.2 c/k diesel and it is about to be torn completely down and ground up build. Goal is 20s which is a push for these old Detroit irons.

Best bud who is doing the tuning with me. He has my lil brothers 07 ECSB 2wd stock on 31 getting 17/23 stock gears. I know a lot lighter than the Tahoe. But still and that's a baseline tune. Not as much time invested as my truck. And 18" factorys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pnut