Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TREYR8D

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my wife has been driving her 07 Z71 Tahoe for about 7 months now. On two different occasions it has failed to start due to a dead battery. Also, there have been more occasions where the starter doesn't seem as powerful, but will still start the truck. From what i can remember, on both times that it was dead, it had been sitting without being driven for approx. 3 or more days. If i drive it around a bit when i have one of these "low power" starts, it seems fine the next time i start it up, usually next morning or later that day, so i don't think its a battery charging issue.

To me this seems like i have a very low power drain somewhere in the system. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this sort of problem or maybe give me some tips on how to track it down with a multimeter.

This same thing happened to me in my Jeep, I went through 3 batteries before i figured out it was a fog light relay, but only because it was half melted and deformed. Remove the relay and all was great after that, it can sit for a month in the Denver winter and start right up.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine actually did this the other day, but instead of 3 or more days it was the next day. i was confused, because it literally sat overnight and the next morning it was dead and not just dead, but dead dead. i couldnt even use the key fob and it took like 10 minutes to jump! No problems since, but when it happened it stormed its brains out and i wonder if some water got under the hood and touched some exposed wires that i had from my harness... I think the stock batteries are junk anyway, we may need to get a better one!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the Tahoe in for service at the dealer? If not, there is a TSB for this issue.

BigRed76

SeniorGroupbuyMember
Reaction score
or just buy an Optima Yellowtop D35 deep cycle battery from amazon.com

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ If the TSB is not taken care of, it will still drain the battery - you will just end up with a dead yellow optima.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate