BB Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
VA929RR

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he headed back home already #08grey

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my way to the Somerset, New Jersey BB tune event right now. My tune is scheduled for 12:40. Justin will be there today and tomorrow for those curious.

VA929RR, what did he change as far as shifting that you're saying you love? Just shift points and firmness?

OP
OP
VA929RR

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shift points specifically. The lag it had downshifting when getting on it was horrible... In addition, it seems to hold each gear a bit longer getting better use of the power band. It just downshifts they way it should now. Before, it seemed confused as to what gear it needed to downshift to when I stomped it. Now, it just shifts and hauls ass....

The firmness may be a little more noticeable. However, nothing annoying or even noticeable to most.

Tell Justin what you're currently "feeling" and what you like it to feel like. He'll dial it in.

Just ask questions. You're paying for a custom tune. He realizes that and will answer any questions and tell you his opinion. He's very down to earth and his explanations are real world opposed to engineering language!! Haha

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shift points specifically. The lag it had downshifting when getting on it was horrible... In addition, it seems to hold each gear a bit longer getting better use of the power band. It just downshifts they way it should now. Before, it seemed confused as to what gear it needed to downshift to when I stomped it. Now, it just shifts and hauls ass....

The firmness may be a little more noticeable. However, nothing annoying or even noticeable to most.

Tell Justin what you're currently "feeling" and what you like it to feel like. He'll dial it in.

Just ask questions. You're paying for a custom tune. He realizes that and will answer any questions and tell you his opinion. He's very down to earth and his explanations are real world opposed to engineering language!! Haha

That's awesome. Thanks for the explanation. How about overall engine performance? Do you notice anymore power, better throttle response, etc? Did Justin mention if fuel economy would change in anyway after tuning? I'm also gonna question him on about either modifying or completely tuning out the AFM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VA929RR

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really have an opinion of any performance increase yet. I "feel" like it has more ass to it but the shifting alone may just be giving me that opinion. I figure I'd give it a few days of driving to really see.

As for fuel, he said under "normal" driving, I'd see a 1-3mpg increase. Obviously your right foot can sway that number. Which is why he stated "normal" driving conditions.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really have an opinion of any performance increase yet. I "feel" like it has more ass to it but the shifting alone may just be giving me that opinion. I figure I'd give it a few days of driving to really see.

As for fuel, he said under "normal" driving, I'd see a 1-3mpg increase. Obviously your right foot can sway that number. Which is why he stated "normal" driving conditions.

Sounds good. I'd say a 1-3 mpg possible increase in fuel economy is pretty good. We'll see! Thanks again for the info, man.

OP
OP
VA929RR

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're very welcome!!! Enjoy and good luck. I'm 100% happy with mine for the shift adjustment alone. If I don't see any mpg gains or HP gains, I'd still say it was worth every penny to me. Much more fun to drive now..

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're very welcome!!! Enjoy and good luck. I'm 100% happy with mine for the shift adjustment alone. If I don't see any mpg gains or HP gains, I'd still say it was worth every penny to me. Much more fun to drive now..

Well, Justin just finished with my tune and I couldn't be happier! Like you said, the shifting is much, much better! He firmed them up, and now the truck knows what gear to pick, and it does it much more precisely. he also made adjustments to the factory torque management programming, turn off the AFM, and tuned it accordingly to get the most out of my performance upgrades. The truck feels snappier, like it went on a diet and lost 600 pounds or gained 40 horsepower. throttle response is also greatly improved after the torque management adjustments were made. he also turned my tow/haul button into a "sport" mode, where the shifts are more aggressive and a lot firmer. I'm so glad I went ahead and had this done. Thanks to Justin and Black Bear Performance for the awesome tune!

scryfst

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Clean07Burb - Glad to hear you're happy with the tune! Really wishing I didn't have to cancel my appointment at the last minute :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dblsprt68