Black out or chrome trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the Esky rack REQUIRES chrome along the running boards. Otherwise, the truck looks top-heavy to me. I initially put the Esky rack on my truck, left it on for about a week before determining that it didn't look right, took it off, took a while to bit the bullet and get Denali/Esky running boards, and then put the rack back on. Now I think the truck looks pretty good.

That's just how my eye works...

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GiB, You missed the bug shield!! :D

Good looking truck David. You planning on chrome wheels to replace the steel?

No Bro.........he has 2 threads running........I pointed that out in the build section. :p

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

I think that the Esky rack REQUIRES chrome along the running boards. Otherwise, the truck looks top-heavy to me.

X2

OP
OP
YuCanada

YuCanada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to try and look for 3/4 chrome molding today, so I can cheap out until I find a set of boards.

Intimidator3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the Esky rack REQUIRES chrome along the running boards. Otherwise, the truck looks top-heavy to me. I initially put the Esky rack on my truck, left it on for about a week before determining that it didn't look right, took it off, took a while to bit the bullet and get Denali/Esky running boards, and then put the rack back on. Now I think the truck looks pretty good.

I agree, but what about the opposite? Do you think you need to have an Esky rack if you have the chrome strip running boards? For some reason, I don't love the chrome Esky rack. I ordered black vinyl to wrap it, just to see how it looks. Looks great on PACE's truck.

Going to try and look for 3/4 chrome molding today, so I can cheap out until I find a set of boards.

Not sure what the going rate is for Esky running boards, but here's a set on ebay for $540. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-11-Tah...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aece5f26c&vxp=mtr

OP
OP
YuCanada

YuCanada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, but what about the opposite? Do you think you need to have an Esky rack if you have the chrome strip running boards? For some reason, I don't love the chrome Esky rack. I ordered black vinyl to wrap it, just to see how it looks. Looks great on PACE's truck.

Not sure what the going rate is for Esky running boards, but here's a set on ebay for $540. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-11-Tah...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aece5f26c&vxp=mtr

Looks like I wont need the chrome molding....
because..
I just ordered the ones you linked!
Thank you sir!
WOOO!:Big Laugh:

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Also ordered GM chrome door handles, as well as escalade style mirror caps (I read around here that those caps are the only good looking chrome covers ever lol) and at $40 why not try it out. Same with the doors, $110 and if I don't like them switch back to black and sell them.. Excited for things to come in!

Intimidator3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I'm glad you bought them because I was getting an itchy trigger finger. Just saved me $540.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nope, I don't think the opposite is true. Not at all. With the stock (black) rack, it's low and narrow and almost disappears atop the truck, and I think that's fine. But on my truck, when I had the Esky rack on, with chrome twice as thick as the door moldings, and chrome door handles in between, with no chrome pulling your eye down toward the bottom of the truck, it just didn't look right to me. Now, with the chrome at the running boards (and CK-375s), I think it looks "right" now.

No, it was just a "balance" issue with me. I ran with no rack at all for a while, too. The chrome door molding and handles looked good to me still, breaking up all of the black, and cutting through the middle of the truck. It was just when I added that slab of chrome up high that things looked "off." (It also "out-performed" the stock 20"s, too.)

So, yeah, I'd be interested to see what a blacked-out rack would look like on your truck. Before your vinyl arrives, you could always throw a few strips of electrical tape on the chrome and stand back and see what you think...

OP
OP
YuCanada

YuCanada

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Took you a week to do it, but because of your advice it took me half a day! Lol

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it is the same with my WDT Tahoe (un-balanced)? I do like the look of the Denali running boards but I honestly don't know if I can handle anymore chrome on my truck! I really want to get the mirrors painted to break it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus