Brakes Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I get what you are saying on affording all that moey on a big brake kit.
But I can tell you what I think the best setup is the Hawk Performance Cermics and a pair of slotted rotors.
I plan on that setup, just don't know what rotor brand to go with yet.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
You do not want drilled rotors unless you are doing a big $$$ Baer upgrade. Go with the EBC's, they are slotted and dimpled, so you get that same heat disapation as you would a drilled

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
I have the big rotor kit from SSBC and really pissed at it basically they were warped from he go. City stoping is not bad but man highway stoping shakes he whole damn car. I have maybee 8,000 miles since I put them on. Plus they squeek a lot. I think I am going to change pads to see if that helps but doubt.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I have the big rotor kit from SSBC and really pissed at it basically they were warped from he go. City stoping is not bad but man highway stoping shakes he whole damn car. I have maybee 8,000 miles since I put them on. Plus they squeek a lot. I think I am going to change pads to see if that helps but doubt.

Thats not the first time I have heard that.

bryanfeelsgood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the EBC slotted rotors and Green Stuff pads in the garage, slapping them on this weekend.

Just doing the fronts for now, that's where most of the braking happens anyway.

Hoping for a big upgrade -- stock brakes are crap.

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really?

stock are crap? what did you drive before?

my 09 tahoe stops on a DIME compared to my 1995 tahoe...

OP
OP
T

TREYR8D

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the EBC USR Slotted rotors and Hawk LTS pads for all 4 corners. $600 shipped for everything.

UPS says pads will be here on friday.
Fedex wont tell me when the rotors will get here, but i know they were shipped yesterday.

Really hoping for them before this weekend so i can put everything on. Got some HID kits for Lows and fogs in yesterday and need to install those too!!!! Should be a good weekend if the rotors get here :)

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
stock are crap? what did you drive before?

my 09 tahoe stops on a DIME compared to my 1995 tahoe...

The problem with the stock brakes is that the rotors are prone to over heat which causes premature warping. Many times, the pads will even outlast the rotors which goes to show that the weak link in the braking system is the front rotors.
As far as stopping power goes, the OEM brakes stop pretty well. My EBC brakes don't make the truck stop any sooner. The reason for the slotted and dimpled rotors is to disapate heat from them so you don't have to worry about over heating the rotors and warping them.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My EBCs pretty much eliminated brake fade which was a big problem with the OEMs (camping load while driving in the mountains).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
resmith3