Changing Rims on a Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix a flat will put all kinds of junk into your tire and some shops won't even touch the repair if you've used a repair kit first. What kinda repair kit are we talking here?

Also, in case of blow out a repair kit won't help ya :D

NEVER EVER use fix-a-flat. Why? It's called TPMS ........ use that junk and you'll end up replacing all of your TPMS with each tire affected.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait a damn second here...

Is the trophy the girl or the acrylic *****?

If it's the girl, I have one of those, prettier that that one too, so I'll take the acrylic *****, please?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEVER EVER use fix-a-flat. Why? It's called TPMS ........ use that junk and you'll end up replacing all of your TPMS with each tire affected.

But how can that be?

The tire repair kit is what Chevy gives me instead of a spare tire so as to save on gas mileage. It's not something I bought, it's a stock item on all GM hybrids. Surely they must have taken that into consideration, or at least replace the TPMS in case of a flat? Of course that's moot point as I'm not using their wheels ... still, I can't believe that they would include an accessory which may damage another. :think:

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But how can that be?

The tire repair kit is what Chevy gives me instead of a spare tire so as to save on gas mileage. It's not something I bought, it's a stock item on all GM hybrids. Surely they must have taken that into consideration, or at least replace the TPMS in case of a flat? Of course that's moot point as I'm not using their wheels ... still, I can't believe that they would include an accessory which may damage another. :think:

I haven't a clue as to what makes up your kit, however the item specifically called "Fix A Flat" will indeed cause your TPMS to malfunction and eventually die due to the chemical within the additive.

So what's in the kit?

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's GM approved stuff, so it wont harm the TPMS

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait a damn second here...

Is the trophy the girl or the acrylic *****?

If it's the girl, I have one of those, prettier that that one too, so I'll take the acrylic *****, please?

:hmm:

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason you DON'T want to introduce any type of foreign liquid (which is what the fix a flat is) into the damaged tire is because the liquid acts as a glue. It's very light and coats the entire inside of the tire wall.

It will eventually go to any and all surfaces within the tire that have any type of opening and then become very gummy in an effort to stop the leak.

This is why it isn't recommended for the vehicle equipped with TPMS. It will clog the sensor modules to the point that they will no longer work and will be in need of replacement.

My BMW states as much within the owner manual and their TPMS sensors are no different than the GM TPMS.