Changing Rims on a Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just popping in quickly to relay what a chevy dealer on ebay said regarding the rims in my OP ...

Dear soulsea,

YES, tbey will fit the Hybrid. No, they will not void the warranty
as they are GM Accessory Wheels. No, you cannot reuse the sensors on larger wheels.

Yes, we would be glad to install them here. The wheels, sensors, tires
(Bridgestone H/L Alenza ) installed would be $3386.15
Breakdown on pricing.... wheel set as advertised $1995.000
tires $920.00, sensors $216.00 labor to install and recalibrate the tire pressure sensor sytem $125.00 plus tax on the parts.
we do stock everything.
thanks for the inquiry

I'm about to call GM customer service after I run some errands for further confirmation as I would expect a seller to tell me 'no problem' ... will let you know later what the deal is.

In the meantime, does anyone have an opinion about the prices quoted?

Thanks and cheers!

- soulsea

ETA: The 'official' price (for each wheel) for this package from the Chevy accessories site is:

Package Details
22 inch Wheel - CK366 Chrome 17800367 $ 612.86
Center Cap - Embossed Bowtie Logo, Chrome 12499424 $ 52.50
Spare Wheel Hoist Package - For Use With Accessory 22" Wheel Only 19158309 $ 50.00
Tire - 22 inch - Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, P285/45R22 (TPC1344MS) 19143998 $ 248.19
Tire Pressure Monitor (Snap-In) - Black Rubber - Multipack (16 pc) 19118652 $ 35.71
Wheel Lock and Nut Package - Chrome, M14 x 1.5, (Includes 20 Nuts, 4 Locks and 1 Key) 17801711 $ 135.71
Package Total $ 1134.97

Last edited:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wonder why they told u that u cannot reuse the sensors?? Our sensors were on our 20" wheels and we have 24" now and reused them with no issues?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wonder why they told u that u cannot reuse the sensors?? Our sensors were on our 20" wheels and we have 24" now and reused them with no issues?

I dunno ... I will ask though.

What is a Spare Wheel Hoist Package? :boxed:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good question, never even heard of that?

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

ok, i just looked it up. its ONLY if you plan on using a 22" wheel as a spare. If you keep your regular spare, you don't need it.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, i just looked it up. its ONLY if you plan on using a 22" wheel as a spare. If you keep your regular spare, you don't need it.

lol, I don't even have a spare wheel/tire ... just a compressor thingie presumably to repair the tire if it goes flat.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
intresting points Justin, however, just FYI, salesmen don't know shit. The last salesman I dealt with didn't know the difference between a 4L80 and 4L60. :nono:

I agree........but it sure sounds right up GMs alley and it makes a bit of sense mechanically and I have never seen a modded hybrid.....but then again, I wouldn't know if it had been modded because I bit the number one thing to do it take than damn "HYBRID" decal off the sides...:boxed:

If one could mod a hybrid and not void the warranty on the electric motor I'd look into one for sure....out the box getting 17/21 just think if you upgraded the intake, exhaust, and got a tune........

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, the whole thing is becoming so freaking frustrating ...

I was just at my local Chevy dealer to pick up/program a spare key/remote and so I asked the head of the service dept my question. His answer was a resounding 'as long as you use oem stuff it has zero affect on your warranty' ... in fact he said he has done it several times.

So I called Chevy customer service to double check. The lady took ten minutes to go ask somebody cause she had no clue, only to come back with the following gem: "upgrading to 22s COULD/MAY void your warranty."

WTF is 'could/may' supposed to mean and how does that help me?

So now I have two dealerships assuring me I can and customer service in ass covering mode hedging their position! :emotions122:

I swear if the new Tahoe design wasn't coming up for 2013 I'd drive to a dealer right now and trade for an LTZ.

I'm lost. :(

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, as long as its going to that dealership and the writer said its not a problem, sounds good to me! lol...

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a law stating that the Dealer/GM must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the mods that were made to the car were the root of the issue.

As long as the tire/wheel combo is the same weight, I don't think there is a problem warranty wise.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Ok, so I think I have a definitive answer from Chevy customer/warranty services ... and I am waiting for the nice lady to send me this in writing via email.

But after they took two days to research my question the bottom line is this:

I can upgrade my wheels to GM oem 22s from the 18s I have on now without voiding my warranty, as long as I use the recommended tires and have the work done by a Chevy dealership.

Like I said, I will wait for this in writing, but I am happy on two fronts. First, I'magonnagetme some pretties :) ... second, it seems that I finally got an answer to a question that many peeps have asked but never got a clear and final answer. So hopefully some poor hybrid hippie like myself won't have to go through this frustrating process in the future.

Now off I go shopping! :hunter:

ETA: Here's part of the email I just received:

Dear Serge,

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking the time to write us in regard to the changing the wheels on your 2009 Tahoe Hybrid.

We are sending you this email as a follow up to our conversation. We have consulted with Ourisman Chevrolet and were able to speak with ***** from the service department. We were advised that changing the wheels could be done and it would require smaller tires on the vehicle. Would increase the stopping distance and offset the speedometer but would not void the warranty. We would recommend that you have this done at a Chevrolet dealer.

There was a bit more but it was just my reference number and niceties.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968