Chevrolet Suburban 3500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... just drove 400 miles today with a 7500 pound camper behind our modified 6.2L Yukon XL.
I have about 460 hp and torque on tap, and we were driving over top of the Appalachians in West Virginia.
Still came up short on power. With the 3500, it would be even worse.
Makes me think diesel is probably the way to go for heavy loads.
What's your axle gear?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa. If 460 hp/ftlbs is not enough… you may need to look at the new 1000ftlb diesel trucks. Haha
Earlier in the tread I mentioned my dad tows his boat thru WV with his 5.7 Hemi 2500 and that is somewhere in the 5500-6500lb range. He says you know the engine is working but it’s not stressed. He can pass and accelerate going uphill, it just needs a little planning.

If $$$ was no object I would love to convert this 3500 Sub to one of the Duraburbs! That might rank as a top 3 contender for Perfect Vehicle Award. But alas, money is a finite resource.
That is generally my towing experience as well, with the 6.2. I can usually accelerate uphill to pass, if needed, if I don’t mind winding it out. Where I was struggling was on a 9% grade trying to hold 55. I could do it but I didn’t want to wind it out that hard, so I held 45.

The duramax conversions are amazing, and I would buy one if I could justify the expense. A bigger camper might be just the justification I need

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash was it you that mentioned in another thread towing should be done near/at peak TQ RPM? (I may be confusing you.) I was going to reply to that comment someone posted, but really wasn't sure and I chatted with my buddy about it. Again, if that wasn't you, I apologize.

So after looking at TQ/HP curves for some of the common engines on these full sized vehicles, I believe it should be somewhere between peak TQ (3500 rpm-ish) and peak HP. Perhaps peak TQ to get going, but to get the most juice of the engine and during highway speeds to maintain speed, closer to peak HP. I know on the LS engines, that pushes you like in the 5,500 RPM range. But I think that's typical of most has engines. I think it boils down to the TQ vs. HP argument, that's were my buddy and I wound up, lol.

The reason with the diesels tow so nice is that peak TQ and peak HP RPMs are very close, and obviously more slower revving than a gas engine. I want to say something like 1800 RPM and 3,000 RPM? And of course, the huge TQ numbers.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really have anything useful to add but I'll chime in to say that even with cracked up pipes giving me a pretty solid exhaust side boost leak my LB7 Duramax just laughs off towing my drift car compared to the 6.2 in the Denali. It's not even close.

BacDoc

Reaction score
As someone who’s been towing boats on trailers for years, I have learned by listening to some smart trailer people and found with experience they are usually right about
“Max towing”. Couple important points:

Trailer balance, tires and tire pressure, axle ratio, the hitch and how it’s mounted can all affect the performance.

The “Max” towing weight is only a limit number that includes the total weight of trailer, cargo and everything that goes on the hitch. This max is for level roads, normal driving and braking.

You never ever want to tow the “Max” as your regular routine. It’s more of a limit. If you’re maxed out then your tires brakes and suspension are at the limit and these components will fail at that limit.

If your route involves significant elevation, speed or distance you should take a percentage off max. Example is if you are going up/down steep grades that percentage should be proportional to the gradient. My 2024 Tahoe 6.2l RWD has something around 8k max, if I was towing in mountains I would never tow over 7k and I would be closer to 6k lbs for peace of mind.

If you’re driving high speed for long distances you should consider braking distance at speed. If max is 10k lbs and you want to go 70+mph you don’t want to tow 10k!

Safety, wear and tear on tow vehicle and ease of mind are the key factors. From my experience, 70% to 80% of max rating is a good recommendation for the “Max” weight you want to work with for safety and health of the tow vehicle. Conservative values are wise choices. Choose wisely!

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
I don't really have anything useful to add but I'll chime in to say that even with cracked up pipes giving me a pretty solid exhaust side boost leak my LB7 Duramax just laughs off towing my drift car compared to the 6.2 in the Denali. It's not even close.
Geez man, this was a Suburban 3500 GASSER thread and now we wound up talking about diesels and how great they are… you’re gonna cost me more money now because I have to diesel swap and join the Duramax forum!

Will anyone contribute to a Go-Fund me?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez man, this was a Suburban 3500 GASSER thread and now we wound up talking about diesels and how great they are… you’re gonna cost me more money now because I have to diesel swap and join the Duramax forum!

Will anyone contribute to a Go-Fund me?
Yeah. No kidding. It's like comparing apples to oranges...

There's plenty of 6.0/4L80e or 6.0/6L90e in the motorhome RV world in the GCWR of like 20,000 lbs range. Those guys aren't winning races, but they are getting to their destinations safe and sound... nothing wrong with the gas drivetrains.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
As someone who’s been towing boats on trailers for years, I have learned by listening to some smart trailer people and found with experience they are usually right about
“Max towing”. Couple important points:

Trailer balance, tires and tire pressure, axle ratio, the hitch and how it’s mounted can all affect the performance.

The “Max” towing weight is only a limit number that includes the total weight of trailer, cargo and everything that goes on the hitch. This max is for level roads, normal driving and braking.

You never ever want to tow the “Max” as your regular routine. It’s more of a limit. If you’re maxed out then your tires brakes and suspension are at the limit and these components will fail at that limit.

If your route involves significant elevation, speed or distance you should take a percentage off max. Example is if you are going up/down steep grades that percentage should be proportional to the gradient. My 2024 Tahoe 6.2l RWD has something around 8k max, if I was towing in mountains I would never tow over 7k and I would be closer to 6k lbs for peace of mind.

If you’re driving high speed for long distances you should consider braking distance at speed. If max is 10k lbs and you want to go 70+mph you don’t want to tow 10k!

Safety, wear and tear on tow vehicle and ease of mind are the key factors. From my experience, 70% to 80% of max rating is a good recommendation for the “Max” weight you want to work with for safety and health of the tow vehicle. Conservative values are wise choices. Choose wisely!
You are very correct. I told my dad the same thing - that’s how he ended up with a 3/4 ton to tow a 6-7k lbs boat. He’s in that 70-80% capacity range and gives him safe margins while traveling with it.

My use is planning to be a bit different. I will not be traveling with my planned boat purchase. I just don’t want to pay wetslip fees and be able to haul it out for the winter of low use times. Keep it in dry dock and be able to do maintenance. Furtherest it MIGHT go is 2hr but that might be 1 time ever other yr.
Glad you brought up the safety and vehicle component issue.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash was it you that mentioned in another thread towing should be done near/at peak TQ RPM? (I may be confusing you.) I was going to reply to that comment someone posted, but really wasn't sure and I chatted with my buddy about it. Again, if that wasn't you, I apologize.
No need to apologize. But yes, I have had conversations about that topic and I know others here have spoken about it too. I don't think I would have said "should" about towing near/at peak TQ/RPM, because there are many factors that play into it. I think it's safe to do so, such as when pulling up a long grade trying to keep up with traffic, but equally important to me are considerations for which path through the transmission is strongest (e.g. the 4th gear path is stronger than the 5th gear path, according to nick transmissions). And, while the LS engines seem quite happy winding out to higher RPMs all day long, I spend most of my time when towing well below the peak power band because I don't need the extra power unless I'm climbing a hill.

Today, we pulled our camper 7 hours home from West Virginia through the mountains of southern PA, Maryland and Virginia, with many 8-9% hill climbs. I spent most of my time in 4th at 2800 rpm, with occasional downshifts to 3rd and 3800-4000 RPMs when needed to keep up with traffic at 65 or so up the steeper grades. It seems perfectly happy there, staying nice and cool.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2018 Suburban 3500 and have no clue what I’m dealing with here. I am dangerous enough but as I go through the truck there are a lot of oddities I need help with figuring out.

1) The tow capacity is listed at 3000lbs. This is a non-armored unit and shows a payload capacity of 4700lb. It has the additional cooling capacity with trans and oil coolers and has a class V hitch rated at 10k lbs (factory). What is the actual towing capacity (safely) of this truck?

2) I have looked all over this forum and found all the how-to guides for adding auto-dimming mirrors but this truck seems to have the older model mirrors with just the blindspot built in. The truck does have an interior dimming mirror. Does the internet believe this will support a conversion to DL3 mirrors?

3) I would love vented front seats… has anyone integrated an Escalade interior into a Suburban/Yukon? Or is it better to just grab a set of Denali seats? My truck has memory, power, and heated seats so would all I need is the new seats and the button with the vent feature?

Thank you all and I look forward to any and all information you can provide.
I remember Eric at Duraburb saying that those were not made to tow but to carry a lot of weight (armor). Give him a call and check out his youtube channel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cee_M3