Chevrolet Suburban 3500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You good sir, have summed up in one post what others did in 7 pages worth of posts! Thank you for your input! I actually saw your rig setup on another thread and was impressed.
I will saw the ride is not THAT bad, GM knows how to make a good cushy seat… if only it had the ventilation option…

Once I decide to pull the trigger on a big boat then the class V receiver will be added. The airbags are a component I was thinking will be necessary/useful too. Do you find your truck is over worked going up those steep grades or do you just settle into a comfortable speed and do your thing?

I wouldn't say the truck was overworked in the Rockies, we just weren't winning any races. I have no compulsion to try to maintain the speed limit driving up a 7% grade at 10,000 feet above sea level. I have two primary concerns:
1) Am I impeding traffic? No
2) Am I faster/can I pass the big rigs? Yes

On I-70 towards the tunnel, most passenger cars are going the speed limit, or even more. But the big rigs are going at a snail's pace, and I'm somewhere in between. On the really steep grades, the Suburban seemed to hit its happy spot at 4,000 RPM and about 40 mph in second gear. Could I have gone faster? Sure, but I'm already stressing everything HARD. Why push harder?

Here's the other photo I love to post that makes heads explode:

H2EL8bV.jpg

And, for the record, the Suburban has 255k miles and the original 6L90 transmission. We're planning another epic family road trip dragging the trailer to Yellowstone this summer. I anticipate no major issues.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the truck was overworked in the Rockies, we just weren't winning any races. I have no compulsion to try to maintain the speed limit driving up a 7% grade at 10,000 feet above sea level. I have two primary concerns:
1) Am I impeding traffic? No
2) Am I faster/can I pass the big rigs? Yes

On I-70 towards the tunnel, most passenger cars are going the speed limit, or even more. But the big rigs are going at a snail's pace, and I'm somewhere in between. On the really steep grades, the Suburban seemed to hit its happy spot at 4,000 RPM and about 40 mph in second gear. Could I have gone faster? Sure, but I'm already stressing everything HARD. Why push harder?

Here's the other photo I love to post that makes heads explode:

H2EL8bV.jpg

And, for the record, the Suburban has 255k miles and the original 6L90 transmission. We're planning another epic family road trip dragging the trailer to Yellowstone this summer. I anticipate no major issues.
The most mind-numbing aspect of this picture is the fuel gauge on F… is that broken?

This is a great picture tho! I do believe GM makes great trucks and happy to be part of the HD community. Hopefully I can be you one day and share my heavy towing experiences.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most mind-numbing aspect of this picture is the fuel gauge on F… is that broken?

This is a great picture tho! I do believe GM makes great trucks and happy to be part of the HD community. Hopefully I can be you one day and share my heavy towing experiences.
LoL
We'd just stopped in Silverthorne for gas, and the pic was taken in the middle of our Ike Gauntlet run. From Silverthorne to the Tunnel I was getting 3 MPG.