Clunking from rear on bumps...what the hell is it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Just like it says...when I go over big or sharp bumps, I hear a loud, solid metal-on-metal clunk. I've checked everything I can think of and everything seems tight. Shocks, exhaust, spare tire, rear seats....if it's in the back and metal, I've seen if it could move. I just have no idea what it is. Just had it serviced and they couldn't figure it out either, but said everything looks great (which it must since they normally try to get you to pay for "other" work).

I'm open to other ideas, suggestions, solutions, etc.

Thanks!

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into it. That'd be a nice and cheap fix.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
The best way to find the problem is to have your wife or anyone else that is heavy enough, stand on the rear step pad and move in an up-dowm motion to simulate suspension dampening while you lay under the truck and find it.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, we've tried that but can't simulate the severity of the bumps needed to make the noise. Thanks for the idea, though.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to find the problem is to have your wife or anyone else that is heavy enough, stand on the rear step pad and move in an up-dowm motion to simulate suspension dampening while you lay under the truck and find it.

LOL did you call his wife fat?

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Hahaha...I hadn't even thought of that.

But not my wife....she's a sexy thang. ;)

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Haha mybad, I meant just don't get a 60 lbs kid to jump on it.

CleanT

Reaction score
:eek:

dude i have the same problem too!! it makes me sad every time i hear it i mean my tahoe isn't even near 100,000 and its in good condition and yet that damm thing clunks around and I feel like i have a pretty rough ride too..i wouldn't say its your bumper, but im thinkin its gotta do with the shocks or the axel or something loose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elwah