Cost of 30k tuneup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O2bwln

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I've got a 2008 Z71 that's finally hit its 30k mark, I called the dealer to set up the 30k tuneup and he quoted me $689. Is that normal or should I be looking somewhere else for this.

Also, if I take it somewhere else, can the dealer use it against me if there is a problem with the vehicle later on?

Thanks,
O2bwln

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
There is NO reason to do a 30K service at all. To be honest, you should not have to do anything but regular oil changes and possibly a break job before 60K. At 60K, you may want to do a tranny service but that’s about it. And, I would recommend using a different dealership. That price is absurd, and they are being dishonest telling you that you need a 30K service. This is how service departments at dealerships make all their money, which is why they said you should have a $700 service done at 30K which is *********. That’s how they get suckers!

Also, not doing recommended mileage interval services will not effect your warranty. Especially not a ********* 30K service.

Last edited:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Could not agree more with Conor!
I would not do anything with the tranny until atleast 75k.

R.Beezy

Costco Member
Reaction score
ya agree with Conor. dont do it just yet... oil changes are the only thing you should be doing around this time. and maybe at 30k you can also change the coolant, but thats it.

and even with that $600+ the dealership is charging you, they probably wont even do anything anyway!! they'll probably just give you a $600 oil change and car wash LOL

baron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the stealerships. Like everyone said, they want to over charge for the simplest of things. 70 dollar "oil services" are pretty common and they aren't doing anything you couldn't do yourself for 29 dollars. Back when I had my x5, the dealer quoted me 2500 for a steering rack replacement, but I simply went to a local, certified guy that did it for 1400 (which was about the same price BMW was quoting for just the part).

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll go against the grain, I change my tranny fluid every 35k :waytogo:

B

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
wat needs done to the tranny @ 75k?

Not much, a tranny drain and fill and possibly a transfer case filter.
NO FLUSH!

You can tell when your tranny needs to be serviced by pulling the dip stick and checking for any "burned" smell or any brownish fluid. It should look nice and red.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

I guess I'll go against the grain, I change my tranny fluid every 35k :waytogo:

B

That can't hurt, but for everyday driving that is a little over kill for a newer truck under warranty. BUT, it can't hurt especially if you are doing a lot of towing.

OP
OP
O

O2bwln

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, you just saved me A LOT of money.
I really do appreciate your feedback.
I'll be getting my regular servicing done and not the 30k 'tuneup'.

Thanks,
O2bwln

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30K sounds a little bit low for a tune up already? As long as you have changed the oil every 3,000 Miles and rotated the tires as well, then you should be fine until 60,000K. When you do hit 60K go ahead and change your air filter, spark plugs, oil, ECT...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968