Def usage - seemed to drop really fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBSSSD

Reaction score
I got 8,500 miles out of my first def tank run all the way dry, 21' Yukon Denali XL minimal towing use mostly highway miles

BobHolthaus

Reaction score
Reviving this thread. Our DEF usage skyrockets when towing. We get the same results as above: 900 miles left, then an hour later (and 80 miles later), we are at 200 miles left. It's completely erratic. Last week it showed almost empty, but then only took like 3 gallons (or so - I don't recall exactly). Now, every time we start the car since then, it pops up with how many miles we have left in DEF range. The odd thing thought is that it continues to count UP over the last week! Started around 200 miles of range (after filling the DEF tank to the overflow point), and today it says there's like 525 miles of range, even though the gauge is almost full. Very erratic. If anyone has a fix, please let me know. Thanks!

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this as well.

Currently at 3900km on the odometer, or ~2,430 miles. I’ve used 2.5 jugs of DEF fluid, so 6 gallons. Seems like a lot??

Is the usage higher during break in? I just towed a jet ski 400 miles and my DEF gauge showed full (I put one full jug of 2.5 gallons before the trip) over half way through…. I didn’t check it since but with about 50 miles left in the trip I got the check system/DEF error…. *** miles until 104kph/65mph limit… it also locked out my menu in my instrument cluster. So about 50 miles later at home I put ~1.5 jugs, or nearly 4 gallons until I overflowed the def tank a bit (by accident lol).

The check engine light and the menu was still locked… after a bit of driving, the menu soon opened up again (maybe 15 mins of driving). And finally the check engine light went away after at least 30 mins of driving from yesterday and today. So looks like def fluid was the issue.

Is it fair to say usage is higher during break in or is this abnormal? I know I towed a sea doo but 1300lbs isn’t a crazy amount of weight.

Also, the DEF gauge is clearly not accurate at all.

Last edited:

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
Bumping this as well.

Currently at 3900km on the odometer, or ~2,430 miles. I’ve used 2.5 jugs of DEF fluid, so 6 gallons. Seems like a lot??

Is the usage higher during break in? I just towed a jet ski 400 miles and my DEF gauge showed full (I put one full jug of 2.5 gallons before the trip) over half way through…. I didn’t check it since but with about 50 miles left in the trip I got the check system/DEF error…. *** miles until 104kph/65mph limit… it also locked out my menu in my instrument cluster. So about 50 miles later at home I put ~1.5 jugs, or nearly 4 gallons until I overflowed the def tank a bit (by accident lol).

The check engine light and the menu was still locked… after a bit of driving, the menu soon opened up again (maybe 15 mins of driving). And finally the check engine light went away after at least 30 mins of driving from yesterday and today. So looks like def fluid was the issue.

Is it fair to say usage is higher during break in or is this abnormal? I know I towed a sea doo but 1300lbs isn’t a crazy amount of weight.

Also, the DEF gauge is clearly not accurate at all.
DEF usage is based on engine load (more load =higher NOx), so the higher the load the more DEF it will use. The DEF tank level is like the water and waste tanks on an RV, not a float like the fuel tank. DEF is allowed to freeze so a float would be damaged when the DEF freezes.

FWIW the urea in the DEF is converted to ammonia in the hot exhaust and the ammonia in the SCR converts the NOx to Nitrogen and water (not a complete explanation of how it works).

Edited to remove CO2 and replace with Nitrogen & water.

Last edited:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEF usage is based on engine load (more load =higher NOx), so the higher the load the more DEF it will use. The DEF tank level is like the water and waste tanks on an RV, not a float like the fuel tank. DEF is allowed to freeze so a float would be damaged when the DEF freezes.

FWIW the urea in the DEF is converted to ammonia in the hot exhaust and the ammonia in the SCR converts the NOx to CO2 (not a complete explanation of how it works).
Close - it breaks the NOx down to Nitrogen and Water - CO2 emissions are heavily regulated by the EPA and going to continue to get tighter (EPA '27) is the next big emissions regulation. I believe the LZ0 with its revised DOC position, two DEF injectors and other improvements meets the EPA27 requirements for NOx and C02 reductions.

1722879648601.png

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
Close - it breaks the NOx down to Nitrogen and Water - CO2 emissions are heavily regulated by the EPA and going to continue to get tighter (EPA '27) is the next big emissions regulation. I believe the LZ0 with its revised DOC position, two DEF injectors and other improvements meets the EPA27 requirements for NOx and C02 reductions.

View attachment 434509
You're right. That what happens when you type something when you just got out of bed and no coffee yet... lol
I edited the post to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nava95