DFM disabler released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

@KMeloney Check out the link above if you read more of the details it sounds like the range device eliminates BOTH the auto start/stop and DFM with the single range device.
The Range device does eliminate both. However, some of us already have the auto start/stop eliminator installed. I, too, was wondering about both installed and if they would conflict. I am glad to hear there are no issues with both.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Range device does eliminate both. However, some of us already have the auto start/stop eliminator installed. I, too, was wondering about both installed and if they would conflict. I am glad to hear there are no issues with both.

@KMeloney Check out the link above if you read more of the details it sounds like the range device eliminates BOTH the auto start/stop and DFM with the single range device.
Exactly why I asked. I have the ASE installed, and I wouldn't want to uninstall it if there's absolutely no reason to.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I asked. I have the ASE installed, and I wouldn't want to uninstall it if there's absolutely no reason to.

I just watched the video of that ASE start/stop eliminator installation, I guess that device is pretty involved on the installation too with the removal of some of the dash trim pieces to the left of the steering and such...

But it's still reversable and you can uninstall it and revert back to stock.

Now Range has a single device that offers both start/stop eliminator and DFM disabler. If it were me I probably wouldn't leave both devices installed regardless if they played nice together. I'd just uninstall the ASE and install the new Range device and list the ASE for sale on here to recoup a couple bucks.

One less aftermarket harness installed seems like the better safer long term option, though it is a little extra work.

Thiccboii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New here. New owner of a 24 Yukon. I dove deep into this topic and trying to figure out if it’s the best move for me. I came across this YouTube comment and wanted to post it here for discussion. This gentleman brings up a good point regarding the lack of oil flow to the DFM lifters after running this product long term. Link to video:
Granted, the video is about a 19 Silverado but the concept is the same.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0234.png
    IMG_0234.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New here. New owner of a 24 Yukon. I dove deep into this topic and trying to figure out if it’s the best move for me. I came across this YouTube comment and wanted to post it here for discussion. This gentleman brings up a good point regarding the lack of oil flow to the DFM lifters after running this product long term. Link to video:
Granted, the video is about a 19 Silverado but the concept is the same.

Thoughts?
I thought about that when I had the AFM disabled with a tune on my ‘17 5.3, the system doesn’t get “exercised.” I did switch back to stock for dealer visits.

The DFM Disabler, to some folks disappointment, allows the DFM to function during deceleration on some rigs, including mine. So it’s still doing its thing but fortunately at a time I don’t notice it or mind.

If I were you with a new ‘24 I’d wait to see what you think. Maybe you’ll be lucky and be one of the people who says it’s imperceptible. If that’s the case, keep it stock, enjoy the slightly better (maybe) gas mileage, and be happy. If you’re like me and the DFM not only is perceptible but also ruins the driving experience of the vehicle on a daily basis you won’t even question whether or not to install the Disabler, you’ll be screaming for it, begging range to ship it faster, and waiting in the driveway for the FedEx truck LOL.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a previous 2016 tahoe with AFM disabled for about 70-80k miles via a tune. No troubles. Put it back to stock before trade in and no issues whatsoever. I also used a good synthetic oil the entire time.

Cheap oil = expensive problems

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you with a new ‘24 I’d wait to see what you think. Maybe you’ll be lucky and be one of the people who says it’s imperceptible. If that’s the case, keep it stock, enjoy the slightly better (maybe) gas mileage, and be happy. If you’re like me and the DFM not only is perceptible but also ruins the driving experience of the vehicle on a daily basis you won’t even question whether or not to install the Disabler, you’ll be screaming for it, begging range to ship it faster, and waiting in the driveway for the FedEx truck LOL.
Hi @nick14226, can you elaborate on what ruins your drive on a daily basis. I guess each one these vehicles are different, but in my Denali (which is so whisper quiet in the cabin I cannot even hear the stock exhaust, and really cannot even hear the engine unless its above about 3500 RPM) the ins/outs of DFM are completely unnoticeable. Even with the windows down, the wind noise easily drowns out any drivetrain sounds. (I Must be one of the lucky ones, or maybe on this trim level, it is less perceptible). Also, after disabling, do you notice any fuel economy differences? I routinely get 21+ MPG on flat highways if I keep her under about 73MPH, did 400 Mile round trip last weekend and got 22.1 on the way there, and 21.4 on the way home.

Anyway, I am not saying you are wrong, just more curious on what characteristics of the DFM in your vehicle make your driving experience poor. In my rig, I set the cruise and life is grand, if I need power, I hit the gas, and there is immediate downshift and the 6.2 comes to life and I am off to the races. In town, I never notice it engaging or disengaging...I'm at 30.5k on the odometer, and things are still smooth as silk. That said, my rig is 100% stock on everything engine/exhaust related.

EDIT: I just re-read the whole thread, see your complaint is primarily shudder/vibration at cruise or gentle throttle application (presumably not enough power demand to reactivate all cylinders?)
Is it possible you actually have the transmission shudder issue, and it is just more noticable when DFM is enabled, vs DFM? Do you have the 5.3 or 6.2? That coule be another factor, as could be your performance exhaust?
All good, seems disabling it helped your application...glad there is a solution that works for you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mulewhisperer

Latest posts