Do I need a transmission cooler on a 2012 Yukon Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurt Johnson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll be towing a 6000lb camper this fall in Georgia about 90 minutes at a time. Does the stock Yukon Denali have sufficient transmission cooling?

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't bothered to look at instructions for a trans cooler in a very long time, but make sure that you get it installed correctly.

You will want line from the trans to go into the cooler, then into the radiator. So your flow path will be something like Trans >> Cooler >> Radiator >> Trans. This will keep your trans fluid from getting too cool.

-You will need to drain your trans fluid and blow out the existing cooler lines with air.
-A tubing cutter and a flare kit will make the installation the cleanest and help keep you from having issues down/on the road.
-Use the flare tool to make (I forget the name of the type of flare) flares on the ends of the metal lines where you will attach any hoses. They will keep the hoses from working off and if clamped right, they will help make a better seal.
-Use another hose that is split ad a vibration and sharp edge protector. Usually heater hose works great.

If you are already plumbed for an external trans cooler, a larger one should be almost plug and play. You could potentially stay factory and find one off of a similar year 2500 or 3500 truck.

wesyder

Reaction score
I'll be towing a 6000lb camper this fall in Georgia about 90 minutes at a time. Does the stock Yukon Denali have sufficient transmission cooling?
I recommend an upgraded cooler, I use a tru cool 40k with the EAD performance install kit on my escalade
cbae5c0ed8a4f2b7b4c7a4c6419d7f8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I towed with both my 2010 Denali and my 2013 Denali XL, never an issue and never had upgraded coolers. That being said, doesn't hurt, so long as it is a good quality unit.

OP
OP
Kurt Johnson

Kurt Johnson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. Does a 2012 Yukon Denali not come with some sort of transmission cooler. The manual says the vehicle has an 8000lb towing capacity. Is that only if the vehicle is towing in the salt flats?

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. Does a 2012 Yukon Denali not come with some sort of transmission cooler. The manual says the vehicle has an 8000lb towing capacity. Is that only if the vehicle is towing in the salt flats?

Yes, it comes with a separate transmission cooler. I just replaced a leaky line on mine. Just thinking about this, and I didn’t really pay too much attention. But the line I replaced went from my radiator to the transmission cooler. So, I’m thinking the system is redundant, going from the radiator transmission cooler to another external cooler.

OP
OP
Kurt Johnson

Kurt Johnson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked under the hood and... Yes.... It has a transmission cooler and the display on the instrument panel shows the transmission fluid temperature. Home run!

mrpep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You should have a temp gage if not install one and see what temps you get. If your in the low to mid 200s then why bother....

54ceb49eac2c547679267ca1078501c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere on here, that if the transmission overheats it will show a message showing you that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkmarius