Dome Lighting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milano_II

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I briefly mentioned this in an unrelated thread a while ago. I'm still trying to figure this out.

I have a dome light/map light/dimmer/steering-wheel light issue that's all seemingly connected.

1. - If you open the doors with everything set normally, all of the dome lights come on as expected.

2. - If you press any dome light buttons on the ceiling, WITH the doors OPEN/dome lights on, that light will go OFF.

3. - If you press any dome light buttons on the ceiling, WITH the doors CLOSED/dome lights off, that light will do nothing.

4. - When you press one of the dome light buttons, the steering wheel lights will turn off if the headlights are on. (yet the dome light does nothing)

5. - When you press one of the dome light buttons, the rest of the lights on the dash will dim if the headlights are on. (and the dome light doesn't come on)

6. - You can not individually turn ANY of these lights on without a door open or by rotating the dimmer switch to force them all on.

Wtf going on here? Has anyone dealt with this?

I also noticed that sometimes my 2WD/4WD light doesn't show up, intermittently - but I think that's a simple switch issue.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dome switches should light up dome always? (separate power wire to switches)
Dome light buttons have been known to go bad...

OP
OP
Milano_II

Milano_II

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dome switches should light up dome always? (separate power wire to switches)
Dome light buttons have been known to go bad...

but all 6 or 7 of them?? to me, I would think they work fine as far as the physical switch. You can turn them all OFF/On individually, for example - as long as they're triggered on by the door being open. Just can't turn them on with doors closed.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking that too.. but it sounds like your domes all work, and the switches start causing the problems. ?

Perhaps you can check the dome fuse to see if you still get weird lighting on your steering wheel with it removed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jocooter