DoneDeal's DIY "Desert Tan" Paint Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very tasteful, not to wild or over done. Really like the rims. Really nice all over

OP
OP
Done Deal DR

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the rear tail caps and lights reinstalled yesterday, all that is left is to fab up a grill mount and install it. The rear tail caps didn't turn out that great so I will need to take them off and re-do them at some point.

OP
OP
Done Deal DR

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to ordering the rear window struts, I should have done it a long time ago because it's such a pain to load and unload things from the tailgate without them. Threw them on yesterday, one of the better $29 purchases I've ever made.

I've got a bit more cleaning up to do on the interior and a couple ideas I'm working on. I also still need to mount the grill, I need to run to Home Depot to pick up some supplies to fab the mount.

OP
OP
Done Deal DR

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent the afternoon removing the remnants of the rear window tint and also fab'd up the front grill mount with some flat stock and painted it black and the grill fits great now. Next I will be doing some more work on the interior and probably retinting the windows.

Hoping in the next couple months I can order a new wheel and tire package. Thinking I will go with an aggressive AT instead of a MT like a KM2 or Trail Grappler for fear that the MT will make towing more sketchy. Anybody have any experience towing with both AT and MTs on our trucks (lifted)?

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i have a silly question, did you rattle can this or did you spray it with a gun? looks good none the less

OP
OP
Done Deal DR

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% spray can. All of the supplies added up to about $150 which included about 20 cans of the tan paint, probably around 10 cans of primer, few cans of satin black, all of the various sandpaper grades I needed, plastic, tape, etc.

I also spent about $60 on the angle grinder and an extra sanding flap disk.

Its definitely not perfect but it is better than it was before by far and I like the theme. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you already have decent stock paint. I did it this way because I don't need a $2000-$5000 professional job, its just a recreational vehicle. There is no clear coat so this will probably only look good for a few years, but the nice thing is that its easy and cheap to fix.

Last edited:

Ceejkay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was just curious due to the wet sanding and such, most people dont take the time to do that with a rattle can job..

OP
OP
Done Deal DR

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump - Anybody have any experience towing with a lifted OBS on both aggressive AT's and MT's? I won't be towing a bunch of weight, max about 2,300 lbs and as little as about 1,500... but it will be expensive cargo so I'm interested what people have to say. This is a new field for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AWink24