Dreaded Effing lifter tap......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, got the answer from the Insurance that they won't cover it due there being a TSB about lifters in these vehicles. I figured they'd find a way out of it, just super shitry that it happened sometime in between getting hit and repaired at the body shop.

I had my friend at the dealership throw a hail Mary and put a new pushrod in and see if it was quiet......it worked! He changed the oil and now it's ready to roll again. Just not sure how long (1k or 100k?). That leads to another question: keep it and run it until something fails, or trade it off while it looks great and runs good?

It needs a trans temp sensor that fails in the harness - $1250 ( have to pull the valve body to replace). Trans service at the same time. I haven't committed to that yet, gonna let it soak a day or 2 to see what the wife and I feel about it. KBB puts it at 15 -19k private party, and about 14k trade value.

Insights welcomed.

L8T BURB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, got the answer from the Insurance that they won't cover it due there being a TSB about lifters in these vehicles. I figured they'd find a way out of it, just super shitry that it happened sometime in between getting hit and repaired at the body shop.

I had my friend at the dealership throw a hail Mary and put a new pushrod in and see if it was quiet......it worked! He changed the oil and now it's ready to roll again. Just not sure how long (1k or 100k?). That leads to another question: keep it and run it until something fails, or trade it off while it looks great and runs good?

It needs a trans temp sensor that fails in the harness - $1250 ( have to pull the valve body to replace). Trans service at the same time. I haven't committed to that yet, gonna let it soak a day or 2 to see what the wife and I feel about it. KBB puts it at 15 -19k private party, and about 14k trade value.

Insights welcomed.
Good news that you got it running back smooth again for what seems like a low cost.

As for me, I would ship that thing out as quickly as possible. You've got the right idea to let things marinade for a couple of days and talk it over with wife and determine best steps forward. Lets say you land at 14k trade value... and the engine lets go within a year. Best case scenario, you only refresh the cam and lifters via DOD delete for around $2400, you've now spent roughly 20% of the value of the vehicle for that repair.

Not terrible... but lets say you've got other things that start to creep up. Transmission issues... various electronic modules known to fail such as blind spot monitor false positives, the digitizer of the radio touchscreen, etc.

These are all things to consider. You know your financial situation and goals better than anyone... but from what information I see being presented here, I wouldn't hesitate to send this thing on and move into something else.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Insights welcomed.
Congrats on the easy fix, even though I would wager it's a temporary band-aid.

On the bigger picture, as @L8T BURB says, only you know your financial picture, available time for making repairs, and your need for 100% dispatch reliability each day.

I'm going to differ with the recommendation though based purely on my own preferences, knowledge and beliefs about these trucks, plus my knowledge of investment strategies. With the exception of our 3500HD (which I bought to keep for 20+ years), I like to buy dry country vehicles when they're close to fully depreciated yet still in excellent condition, then do all of the work needed to get them back to like new condition, mechanically and cosmetically. This way, I know exactly what I have and I get the peace of mind that goes with knowing what to do when/if anything goes wrong. Over the past 35 years, this strategy has served me very well, with low vehicle costs allowing my wife and I to save enough to hopefully retire early. The $50,000 you might spend on a newer rig, saved and invested over 20 years at an average of 7% (my investments have done much better than that over the same length of time), would be worth $193K.

The only way I know for workaday people to become millionaires without either rich parents or a windfall of some other kind, is to save early and often, and avoid spending big money on depreciating assets at all reasonable costs.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the easy fix, even though I would wager it's a temporary band-aid.

On the bigger picture, as @L8T BURB says, only you know your financial picture, available time for making repairs, and your need for 100% dispatch reliability each day.

I'm going to differ with the recommendation though based purely on my own preferences, knowledge and beliefs about these trucks, plus my knowledge of investment strategies. With the exception of our 3500HD (which I bought to keep for 20+ years), I like to buy dry country vehicles when they're close to fully depreciated yet still in excellent condition, then do all of the work needed to get them back to like new condition, mechanically and cosmetically. This way, I know exactly what I have and I get the peace of mind that goes with knowing what to do when/if anything goes wrong. Over the past 35 years, this strategy has served me very well, with low vehicle costs allowing my wife and I to save enough to hopefully retire early. The $50,000 you might spend on a newer rig, saved and invested over 20 years at an average of 7% (my investments have done much better than that over the same length of time), would be worth $193K.

The only way I know for workaday people to become millionaires without either rich parents or a windfall of some other kind, is to save early and often, and avoid spending big money on depreciating assets at all reasonable costs.
I love / live what you stated @Geotrash

Good words to live by, I should be retired early as well based off of similar principles. I have usually done the buy lightly used/somewhat depreciated and then run them for as many miles as feasibly possible. I'm not afraid of maintenance or repairs, but I'm stuck in a new territory in life where I'm on the road now, sometimes weeks on end, and am unable to scramble to fix as needed for the wife or kids. She, being a typical female (no offense to female members here!) is not mechanically inclined and we have a limited number of trustworthy sources to lean on if needed.

Part of me wants to keep the truck, drive it until it breaks, then put a 6.6L and new torque converter in it and run it some more. $7500 is WAY cheaper than the alternative. However, as the kids have grown and are now driving, the need for a fullsize SUV isn't as relevant. My wife likes the new Buick Envista.......it's sharp, but a throw away shit-box in my mind.

I would be perfectly content with another used vehicle, but dependability, and ease of repairs (ie: warranty) seem to be on her list now..........The fact that for 25 years I've kept her in top notch stuff seems to have gone out the window based on the fear of "what if?"

Sometimes I just want to live by myself away from everyone, with 2 older dependable vehicles, my atv, guns, garden, and my dog. LOL

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifter gets stuck and doesn't compress which causes valve to touch piston and bend push rod in my thinking .
No. When the lifter is collapsed the distance the pushrod travels is less, there will be no valve to piston contact.
I did a lot of research when my lifter collapsed.
It is the geometry of the pushrods and placement of rocker arms above the valves. They do no push strait up and down like an old small block but instead have a pronounced angle that works 'fine' until a lifer collapses. The gap created from the collapsed lifter causes the pushrod to bend in very short order.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love / live what you stated @Geotrash

Good words to live by, I should be retired early as well based off of similar principles. I have usually done the buy lightly used/somewhat depreciated and then run them for as many miles as feasibly possible. I'm not afraid of maintenance or repairs, but I'm stuck in a new territory in life where I'm on the road now, sometimes weeks on end, and am unable to scramble to fix as needed for the wife or kids. She, being a typical female (no offense to female members here!) is not mechanically inclined and we have a limited number of trustworthy sources to lean on if needed.

Part of me wants to keep the truck, drive it until it breaks, then put a 6.6L and new torque converter in it and run it some more. $7500 is WAY cheaper than the alternative. However, as the kids have grown and are now driving, the need for a fullsize SUV isn't as relevant. My wife likes the new Buick Envista.......it's sharp, but a throw away shit-box in my mind.

I would be perfectly content with another used vehicle, but dependability, and ease of repairs (ie: warranty) seem to be on her list now..........The fact that for 25 years I've kept her in top notch stuff seems to have gone out the window based on the fear of "what if?"

Sometimes I just want to live by myself away from everyone, with 2 older dependable vehicles, my atv, guns, garden, and my dog. LOL
Yep, that would be enough to change my calculus, too. My wife and I are fortunate in that we both work from home, so the only dispatch reliability she cares about is being able to pick up the kids from school, take them to appointments, drive them to events and friends' houses, etc. She LOVES her little Land Rover LR2 "water bug" for this purpose, and it's dead-on reliable because #1 it's a Volvo under the hood, and #2, I've been through every major system with a fine-toothed comb, replacing every possible wear item and trouble-prone part, and I know it's tip-top. And she's as frugal-minded about cars as I am, so she's fine with this because we have the Yukons and now the Suburban, as backup and for longer trips.

If I were in your shoes though, and my wife cared more about having a newer car, I would definitely pick up a cheaper, newer but nice SUV, like the newest CR-V or Mazda CX-50, and treat it like royalty. It would only need to last us 5 years until the kids are out of the house.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that would be enough to change my calculus, too. My wife and I are fortunate in that we both work from home, so the only dispatch reliability she cares about is being able to pick up the kids from school, take them to appointments, drive them to events and friends' houses, etc. She LOVES her little Land Rover LR2 "water bug" for this purpose, and it's dead-on reliable because #1 it's a Volvo under the hood, and #2, I've been through every major system with a fine-toothed comb, replacing every possible wear item and trouble-prone part, and I know it's tip-top. And she's as frugal-minded about cars as I am, so she's fine with this because we have the Yukons and now the Suburban, as backup and for longer trips.

If I were in your shoes though, and my wife cared more about having a newer car, I would definitely pick up a cheaper, newer but nice SUV, like the newest CR-V or Mazda CX-50, and treat it like royalty. It would only need to last us 5 years until the kids are out of the house.
You betcha! The Mazda line is something I've looked at and do like the CX-50. The last Mazda I looked at 2 years ago was a Mazda 6. They are made in Japan, the fit and finish is great, and they don't feel the need to change crap up every 3 years to try and keep a customer base. And, they come with 4 cylinders.......not 3 like the cheap GM ones.

We shall see. I like your situation, but we drive A LOT, so the warranty aspect makes sense for the wife. I could care less and keep a Murphy kit in my 2008 Denali.....to scare away problems. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vit-silvian