Dual Batteries installation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let’s both scour the forum for the best alternator. I tend to want excessive overkill in parts for my 07 Tahoe!

Always open for suggestions from my friends!

to me the best alt is the oem 220amp direct bolt on. part number 13536552. can be had used off ebay with low mileage for under 100$ or any auto parts store.

the corvette guys love the high priced mech man stuff, I'm not a fan. they seem to have a high fail rate to cost to me. and unless they have updated, the new gm alt is a better design to start with. they call the regulator a hairbrush style if you want to Google and research it.

personality, it seems weird to me to not run both batteries thru the current sensor. is there a setting somewhere in the code that uses different math when it has a rpo code for a 2nd battery factory? maybe it knows only half the load is going thru the sensor?

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mechman says to do it, the ppv's do not do it.
I ran a ground from the 2nd battery over to tie into the 1st battery ground post instead of grounding it to the frame.
I previously had the 2nd battery grounded to the frame but had some battery issue's (defective battery), most likely NOT related to the charging system, when I replaced both batteries I just decided to run the grounds together not sure if it results are the same as running it "thru" the sensor or not. It works........
it's probably worth noting the factory manual clearly states a "fault" will just make it charge 13.9+v by default
View attachment 439001
"vehicle speed is greater than 90 mph"
Does the ecm use more juice at wot?

Goomba123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree it could have been run better as you stated BUT... I am in Green river Utah population 900 people right now. The only store within a 100 miles did not have a longer Positive cable or I would have run it differently... I will run a longer one along the fire wall when I get back to civilization... lol

The hazards as you mentioned above are speculative at best and a battery cable would not cause any electrical interference. Connecting the batteries to the starter could give more cranking power but, it would be very negligible at best.

In my opinion it will also make it more difficult to isolate into separate systems later. This way allows an easy hook up for my winch and off road lights and other accessories so, I am not cluttering up the main battery connection. This is also much easier to install because I don't have to crawl underneath to connect to the starter... I will admit crawling under mine is very easy compared to getting under a stock one but hey I am an old man. lol

But, thanks for your input.
Boys boys boys, I've also read to make sure both batteries are same group and CC power. I have same setup. Over my radiator the cowl has indent to run wires. I bought military spec quick release battery connectors from Amazon 8$ per battery with 4 Allen Head attachment points on each connector. Battery to battery any extra power sources connect to whichever battery is closest. They both absorb equally so take your pick. No brain surgery here. Unless u want to purchase a bunch of extra components and gizmos for 150$ on up that do nothing and you get to install that junk as well. They are called salesmen. Hand them your wallet. Always a safety fear to get your money. Got covid. Let's make some money and scare the public. I've heard of a newer Malibu check engine light code for front strut. And be very careful until we replace it even though it's fine and car doesn't bounce. Take this crap off GM. Newer vehicles are garbage. Who makes a 9000lb. Vehicle? New electric Hummer. Way to go Marketer's. Does your computer open your oil plug also. Lol. don't fall for this people!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dennisjx