E Fans better than stock clutch driven??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Personally dude. it don't it does anything, just think about it man, you remove the Clutch Base FAN, WOW. that little plastic being remove and replace with electrical going to add 10HP.. i don't think so.. it will be nice if its cheap, and i will say.. Why not change it.. but for over $200, i will say.. just keep the Clutch FAN

Yea this guy obviously doesnt have this mod. Yes this will make a significant difference. You are losing a lot of power while your clutch fan is engaged. Most e-fans are designed to turn on when the a/c is on, so while youre at a stop or parked youre moving alot of air through your radiator and condensor, thus keeping your a/c cold and your motor. Im running a flexalite kit and couldnt be happier.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses to my question :) I wasnt sure if they just made the engine run cooler or if they actually caused power increases like I have read about. Maybe Ill do it once I get my ram air hood, intake, and headers :) I just hate finding out about new cool things becuase its another thing to add to my longgg list of mods. hahaha :D

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
will they help? yes

will a stock 05-06 fan work? yes, it will, if your year is under, just need to have the pin turned on I think.
Any aftermarket electric fan will also work, but, some pull a TON of currect, so expect that. And, if it ever goes out, be aware, you could over heat.
If you want every ounce of HP, sure, do it. But for simplicity, I'll take my clutch fan, I know it will work everytime, and no extra pull on electrical. If I need that extra 10HP, I'll get it some other way, or a lighter truck.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK if this helps or not, but I ended up with generic e-fans from ebay.

I have a 99 and used a tape to measure out a 34" width. So I figured two 16"'s would be fine. Then I had to make sure that the fans would pump out enough CFM that the mech fan did. I couldn't find any info about stock mechanical fans CFM, so I cheated. I looked at the CFM of the expensive $500+ kits. They were rated at 5500cfm. So I looked on ebay and picked out two 2500CFM 16" fans. I also had to buy a temp controller.

Works like a charm.
More install pics HERE.
picture.jpg

Any fan combo that pumps out at least 5000CFM and fits in a 34" width should work.

Last edited:

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Efans all the way. I can't stand that whirring noise when the fan clutch engaged. efans don't create horsepower, but do free up what is already there so it feels like you added power. I'm happy with my stock truck with a tune and no efans power wise. I pulled a 12' trailer before and after the fan install and it was a night and day difference. My truck almost overheated one summer when I left it running with the stock clutch fan. thats no longer an issue. got to remember whatever the stock clutch fan is rated, it doesn't flow that much at idle and that was my issue. I've got about $700 into my fan install including the tune and despite some issues (isolated to me only it seems), I won't go back. There are cheaper ways to get the same results though.

try running with an exercise parachute and then take it off and do the same. that's what it feels like.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What issues are you having with your e-fans? Or were you having?

I've been eyeing these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-180/ BUT really want these http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page18-1.html
I'll be getting them soon, which ones, who nows hah but I'll be getting them

The problem I have is with the interface with my computer I believe. My fans will run on low all the time. They don't ever shut off. We haven't been able to find the exact cause of the problem as of yet, but cooling hasn't been affected. The a/c tap works fine and they will cycle to high if my compressor cycles on. again, isolated issue to me. no issues through the summer and since its been rather cool lately I disconnected one fan and this will turn them off and I can still cycle the other fan with the a/c if needed.

I may go back to the yard where I bought the fans and swap in a different set and see if it does the same thing.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem I have is with the interface with my computer I believe. My fans will run on low all the time. They don't ever shut off. We haven't been able to find the exact cause of the problem as of yet, but cooling hasn't been affected. The a/c tap works fine and they will cycle to high if my compressor cycles on. again, isolated issue to me. no issues through the summer and since its been rather cool lately I disconnected one fan and this will turn them off and I can still cycle the other fan with the a/c if needed.

I may go back to the yard where I bought the fans and swap in a different set and see if it does the same thing.

Not sure but, could the problem be in the tune?

What fans are you using?
Sounds like its not a problem more annoying than anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx