Electric/Battery Problem??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2005 Tahoe and recenty have had some electrical problems. During Christmas week I went to start the truck, turned the key and all it did was click, like a had a dead battery. I immediately turned the key off & re-tried & started right up like normal. Then a few days passed & nothing, all was good. Then last week it did it again a few times, but would start right up, then one time but my battery light stayed lit so I decided to run to the Chevy dealership to check it out w/the light on. They checked the battery & it read 100% charge, & my voltmeter showed the usual 14 v. They turned off the truck & it started right up & my battery light also turned off but this time as I was going through my readouts on the mileage we noticed my engine hours had reset to zero (plus forgot to mention that the radio clock always resets to 12:00 everytime it would fail to start). But he said nothing else seemed wrong, and to come back if it continues.
This past Friday was really bad, it took like 4-5 tries before it even started & again on Saturday. I checked all my wires & everthing seems to me tight & making good connections. Today on my way to lunch, it would do nothing at all, not even the "click" but luckily finally got it running. It kinda sounds like my starter is going out, but wanted to get any feedback before I take it to the dealer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Joe Johnston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My daughter had the same problem with her Envoy. Had to replace the ignition switch. The next time it happens, lift up on the key as you rotate it. May help, may not, but it did for her till it was replaced.

OP
OP
jstahoe

jstahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Tracy. That's what I thought at first but couldn't find a bad connection. (doesn't mean there still might not be one).

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

Hey Joe, thanks i'll try that. One of my co workers also mentioned the switch as well. Either way gives me some other things to look at it before I take it in

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you said there was problems with the clock which seems weird. But see if it starts normally in neutral. It may not be the problem but sometimes the shifter bolts under the dash can work themselves loose and cause it not to start in park cause its not going in park all the way. just a thought its happened to me on another truck i owned. I tightened the bolts and presto!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skunkltz