Engine overheating 2013 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tstar2028

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm driving a 2013 Chevy Tahoe with about 179,000 miles on it, and recently it's been overheating. The engine temperature gauge keeps rising and then goes back to the middle. This only happens when I'm driving, not during startup. There's no check engine light or warning messages, and the AC and heat work fine, but the fans are really loud. I don't think I need to add coolant because there's no low coolant message. Should I check the coolant level? I'm thinking it might be the thermostat, but I want to be sure.

Attachments

• TAHOE GAUGE 1.jpg
    TAHOE GAUGE 1.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 4
  • TAHOE GAUGE 2.jpg
    TAHOE GAUGE 2.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 4

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these have a level light? I didn't know that.

Yes, please pop your hood and look at the coolent level. it's a clear container so you can see the fluid level without opening anything.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course you should check the coolant level. That should be a regular check along with engine oil, transmission fluid, windshield washer fluid, tire inflation, etc. If nothing else you might see patterns of change.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The coolant level sensor in the coolant reservoir is often stuck or broken. Both my 08 YXL Denal & 09 Esky ESV had that occurring.

Replace the coolant reservoir asap if it’s low and not alerting you. You never, ever want to have to shut off the motor due to overheating on the fly. No power brakes or steering is a death sentence.

You need that sensor to alert you before the overheat occurs.

OP
OP
T

tstar2028

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The coolant level sensor in the coolant reservoir is often stuck or broken. Both my 08 YXL Denal & 09 Esky ESV had that occurring.

Replace the coolant reservoir asap if it’s low and not alerting you. You never, ever want to have to shut off the motor due to overheating on the fly. No power brakes or steering is a death sentence.

You need that sensor to alert you before the overheat occurs.
Went to a local mechanic they said apparently I have a crack in my radiator and "severe " leak! they want $1900 to replace radiator,hoses,thermostat But is that even true? I have no Check engine light or no message! All i saw was the coolant is low

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your coolent is low there's a good chance the radiator plastic end tank is leaking somewhere. if you look for it while it's hot, you can probably find a wet spot. leaking water doesn't set a check engine light until you've overheated it enough. usually by the time is comes on its hot enough it's not good for the engine at all. if it is leaking you probably should be able to smell the coolent.

the price seems high to someone like me that doesn't go to shops, that's about 200-400$ in parts. but the diagnosis seems plausible and having cars fixed is expensive. you could get a 2nd option from another shop and ask them to show you the leak.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to a local mechanic they said apparently I have a crack in my radiator and "severe " leak! they want $1900 to replace radiator,hoses,thermostat But is that even true? I have no Check engine light or no message! All i saw was the coolant is low
Yes..at your miles failed parts in the cooling system is extremely common. Just about everyone on this fourm would replace everything just to be safe. $1900 seems outrageous especially since they're not replacing everything. But that's why most of us D.I.Y.

+1 as not knowing we have coolant level sensors..

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Uh, Yea!?! $1,900.00 for $300 of OEM GM parts. That is if that shop was even going to get you the GM radiator that’s guaranteed for life.

39D10B12-6ED6-4D37-A75C-9CB2C25CA411.jpeg39DEFC4C-8B93-42F3-95DE-B7244BDD87C7.jpegFED99FC7-B305-4DE1-B2DC-BE6D42E4B6C9.jpeg

For that price you could buy all the parts plus all the corresponding OEM GM heater hoses and fittings for an Indi tech to replace and still have 5-$8h left over.

Tell the mechanic who offered the $1.9k deal you’re buying him lunch. Drop off the appropriate lunch below. Tell ‘em you can get more a the dollar store if they want …

B301071B-E05B-4D2A-B9B3-FC1FD9625FC1.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well unless you are completely inept you can diy for about 1/4 of that price including a new radiator, new heater hoses & t's, reservoir tank, coolant and a cheap set of tools if you do not have any.
I wouldn't worry about the thermostat, leave it be unless the waterpump starts to leak in the future and the upper and lower radiator hoses are probably fine as well.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe estimate. Sure, just a second. “Hey Lisa! I need an estimate”

Ohh Kayyy ….it’s green Ninnneeteeen. Green 19 ok.

Your estimate is $1,900.00 Sir

3089BFF5-304C-4C00-913F-ADFEFDAB7701.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velt