Engine shuts off 09 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2799gret

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Chevy Tahoe. The engine has been shutting off once a week when I slow down. Electrical still works. I can crank the car right back up after. No check engine light comes on. When it happens the steering wheel locks up and the car decelerates to a stop.
I don’t know where to start.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Chevy Tahoe. The engine has been shutting off once a week when I slow down. Electrical still works. I can crank the car right back up after. No check engine light comes on. When it happens the steering wheel locks up and the car decelerates to a stop.
ignition system: Fuel, spark, or intake

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're going to need to basis tools like obd scanner with data to really do anything besides guess. you need to check the basics like does it have fuel pressure when it dies, is it running badly.

but more story might help if they guys have seen this before. what are you doing when it happens. how does it run, passed maintenance and mileage. could be as simple as fouled our plugs, to a throttle body that needs cleaned. hard to say without knowing more.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the steering wheel really lock up, as if the key is removed? Or does steering get stiff, as in no power steering?

shr3ddymurphy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have a 09 LTZ and experiencing the same thing. Had the battery and fuel pump replaced but its still cutting off when coming to a stop, but then fires back up on the 2nd or 3rd try

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Same thing applies to your 07 Tahoe except the AFM that yours is equipped with.

Lucky you! 07 Esky and no AFM on the 6.2L. If you can, determine the build date on it to confirm it’s not one of the very few equipped with sleeping AFM.

Two things to start with:

a) Replaceme the -\~ battery cables. They rot from the inside out, look perfectly normal and cause bogus DTC to appear on the 5v CAN/BUS system.

b) Ever changed the carbon canister back by the gas tank? The pellets get in the gas tank, evap lines & fuel lines.

If the canister is leaking carbon pellets, there’s a systematic process of replacing the inexpensive evap/emission parts, replacing the fuel pump w/ an OEM lifetime unit, wiping out the tank and blowing out all the lines. It’s all gotta be done in one shot to rid the pellets.

All those parts should of been replaced at 100k mi anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peajae89