EPA Fuel Economy Estimates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
I'm looking at the window sticker that was never placed on the window of the Chevy 2010 Tahoe I ordered last year, and the EPA estimates that I'll get between 12 to 18 MPG in city driving, for an average of 15 MPG. And when I'm on the highway, the EPA estimates I'll get between 17 to 25 MPG, for an average of 21 MPG.

So how come my all-around average is 11.13 MPG to date? :signs8:

Good thing the EPA doesn't run the federal government! We'd really be in trouble if the EPA prepared a budget showing estimated income and estimated expenses, huh? Right now, we're all in safe hands at the federal level. :anitoof:

Baker1k

Reaction score
Our 07 Yukon on 26"s gets 14.4 avg driving in city (Orlando) with traffic and stop lights everywhere and that's bone stock with a flowmaster exhaust do ya put ur foot in it alot?

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
set your IDC to show "instant mileage" and V8/V4 mode.

once you get used to keeping it in V4 mode, your MPGs will go up.

i have found that using the Cruise Control changes the algorithm of "when & how soon" the ECM allows it to drop into V4 (in other words, cruise will keep it in V4 ~60% of the time on my way to work, and if i operate the gas pedal, it is in V4 ~20%)

using remote start will drag my MPG down to 12mpg, but fat people like AC!!!

pulling away from a stoplight is only ~10% of your drive time, and they used to say you got better mileage by getting to cruise speed (efficient area of engine RPM) quicker.

mine does 15~18mpg without remote start.

Baker1k

Reaction score
Damn I didn't know that about the cruise control I'm gonna have to try that next time we go on a trip. How much does a cai help out anyone seeing much different over stock?

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
set your IDC to show "instant mileage" and V8/V4 mode.

once you get used to keeping it in V4 mode, your MPGs will go up.

i have found that using the Cruise Control changes the algorithm of "when & how soon" the ECM allows it to drop into V4 (in other words, cruise will keep it in V4 ~60% of the time on my way to work, and if i operate the gas pedal, it is in V4 ~20%)

V4 mode will come on when the engine load is below 40% at a set RPM ...I am not sure what the RPM setting is...speed may also be used in the algorithm

I dont think the ECM changes the algorithm when cruise is used...it may seem this way because the cruise is more steady than a foot on the gas

Assman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats some awful milage with these gas prices! I don't know what I do different but my mostly city driving yeilds me 16.5 hand calculated milage almost every tank. I'm not exactly light on the pedal all the time either.

booyaltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned lots of cars in my time. By far, the EPA estimate for my 2007 Tahoe has been the most overestimated gas mileage of any car I've had. The original estimate for highway driving in 2007 was 21mpg for the 4x4 version... this is only attainable by driving mostly downhill on a long trip. What a joke the 21mpg estimate is. On all of my other cars that I've had, I can achieve the estimated EPA MPG pretty easily on the highway.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
StevenFromTexas,

I know that not every thing below applies, but here are some things that can reduce your fuel economy.

Quick acceleration and heavy braking can reduce fuel economy by up to 33 percent on the highway and 5 percent around town. New EPA tests account for faster acceleration rates, but vigorous driving can still lower MPG.

Frequent accelerator pedal movement will reduce fuel economy because of fuel enrichment during the periods of acceleration. Under such driving conditions the torque converter clutch (tcc) also disengages, contributing to fuel economy losses.

Excessive idling decreases MPG. The EPA city test includes idling, but more idling will lower MPG.

Driving at higher speeds increases aerodynamic drag (wind resistance), reducing fuel economy. The new EPA tests account for aerodynamic drag up to highway speeds of 80 mph, but some drivers exceed this speed.

Cold weather and frequent short trips can reduce fuel economy, since your engine doesn't operate efficiently until it is warmed up. In colder weather, it takes longer for your engine to warm, and on short trips, your vehicle operates a smaller percentage of time at the desired temperature. Note: Letting your car idle to warm-up doesn't help your fuel economy, it actually uses more fuel and creates more pollution.

Cargo or cargo racks on top of your vehicle (e.g., cargo boxes, canoes, etc.) increase aerodynamic drag and lower fuel economy. Thus, hang-on luggage carriers, cat toppers, open windows and/or open trunk, etc results in less fuel economy. MPG tests do not account for this type of cargo.

Running electrical accessories (e.g., air conditioner) decreases fuel economy. Operating the air conditioner on "Max" can reduce MPG by roughly 5-25% compared to not using it. Electrical loads, (headlights, heated back glass...) also result in lower fuel economy, (typically less than 1 mpg difference, each 10 amps takes approximately .4 mpg).

Driving on hilly or mountainous terrain or on unpaved roads can reduce fuel economy. The EPA test assumes vehicles operate on flat ground.

Road surface condition impacts fuel economy. Gravel and/or pot holed roads decrease fuel economy. Hills (vs. level terrain) also negatively impact fuel economy. Even gradual imperceptible increases in elevation result in real measurable decreases in fuel economy. Similarly, driving in the rain or snow decreases fuel economy.

A poorly tuned engine burns more fuel.

Improperly aligned or inflated tires can lower fuel economy by increasing rolling resistance. Harder tires, (more air pressure, or different tire compositions) result in better fuel economy. Do not exceed maximum pressure as labeled on the tire, typically 30-35 psi. The disadvantage of this is that the greater the tire pressure, the harsher the vehicle ride.

A dirty air filter can make your engine work harder.

Brake drag (even a minimal amount undetectable by coasting) can have a significant negative impact on fuel economy.

Vehicle suspension misalignment can cause poor fuel economy, new tires, tire rotation, and/or front end alignment may be required to correct fuel economy.

Performance tires and/or tires with larger "contact areas," (like 60 series aspect ratio), can cause as much as 3 mpg lower fuel economy when compared to hard "thin" tires. Find out if the tire size currently on the car is the same as original equipment. Replacement tires taller than original equipment tires cause the odometer to read less than actual distance traveled. This will result in lower calculated fuel economy than actual fuel economy.

Thank you,

Elizabeth GM Customer Service