How can I increase my 2002 Tahoe 4WD LT's Fuel Economy???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

IASCA Car Audio World Champion
Reaction score
long tubes might be worth considering.

I'm currently running stock headers, stock cats, and then a 2.5" straight pipe exhaust to 4" tips. Lately I've really been thinking about switching up my exhaust and running long tube headers with high flow cats and then the 2.5" straight pipes to 6" tips. I mainly want to do this to help make it sound better but do you think that switch would help or hurt my fuel economy?

Suggest that you look at all options, and their costs, then determine how much fuel-cost you can truly expect to save per option, then choose accordingly.

Sounds simple, but many of us will find that the cost of the fuel-saving option exceeds the actual cost of fuel saved.

I understand what you are saying there completely, but I have sunk way too much money into this Tahoe to ever sell it so I plan on keeping it forever. So I mean at this point any increase to me will be worth it.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running stock headers, stock cats, and then a 2.5" straight pipe exhaust to 4" tips. Lately I've really been thinking about switching up my exhaust and running long tube headers with high flow cats and then the 2.5" straight pipes to 6" tips. I mainly want to do this to help make it sound better but do you think that switch would help or hurt my fuel economy?

It wont hurt, and performance advantages will certainly be found.

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
It wont hurt, and performance advantages will certainly be found.

How much of a performance upgrade do you think I would see from switching to that? And do you think my fuel economy would stay the exact same?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much of a performance upgrade do you think I would see from switching to that? And do you think my fuel economy would stay the exact same?

Ive seen in the 30hp/30ft/lb kind of range with a tune and free flowing exhaust. Not sure on economy. I'm sure that there are others that are more in the know than I am that can comment.

Chizzychase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed you Lol. Man that thing is clean! I would say gears, Long tubes and a tune would contribute I'm not sure on the gains you'll see. I avg 13 now and I'm on 20x10's and almost a 35 all terrain with stock 3:73 gears

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
I followed you Lol. Man that thing is clean! I would say gears, Long tubes and a tune would contribute I'm not sure on the gains you'll see. I avg 13 now and I'm on 20x10's and almost a 35 all terrain with stock 3:73 gears

Whats your ig bro? and thanks! I try not to post up too many pics on there because I don't want to attract the wrong crowd but I still try to post up as much as I can. But I have an interview for a new job Tuesday and if i get it you best believe there are some major changes coming to my truck, I'm talking cat eye swap, 24x14's, air bag suspension, all new paint, new leather, and the list just goes on and on haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pjoe1320