EPA Fuel Economy Estimates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolhandmike

Reaction score
I've got an 07 Yuk 4x4 and with my last two tanks I'm getting about 13 mpg in the city and close to 18 on the highway. I'll have to try using cruise more often for trips.

stahlgrau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my recent road trip from Chicago to New York, my 07 Denali averaged 14.6 mpg at an average of 75 mph. City driving nets me an average of 10.4 mpg here at Chi-town. :(

ec07z71

Reaction score
I have owned lots of cars in my time. By far, the EPA estimate for my 2007 Tahoe has been the most overestimated gas mileage of any car I've had. The original estimate for highway driving in 2007 was 21mpg for the 4x4 version... this is only attainable by driving mostly downhill on a long trip. What a joke the 21mpg estimate is. On all of my other cars that I've had, I can achieve the estimated EPA MPG pretty easily on the highway.

couldn't agree more - for fun I did a "grandmother test run" on the highway (60 mph tops, uber-slow accelerations, 1/2 mile coast to stops) - received many middle fingers, and 18.7 mph.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couldn't agree more - for fun I did a "grandmother test run" on the highway (60 mph tops, uber-slow accelerations, 1/2 mile coast to stops) - received many middle fingers, and 18.7 mph.

At least it was worth the middle fingers, eh? ;)

ec07z71

Reaction score
it was nice to be noticed

-going to try another 50 mile trial run - this time no breaks and 55 tops - wish me luck

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was nice to be noticed

-going to try another 50 mile trial run - this time no breaks and 55 tops - wish me luck

WHY? You and I both know that you will not achieve the 21mpgs. So why bother? And even if you will with 55 tops, ................. will you start driving like this every day then? Most likely not, so why does it matter?

ec07z71

Reaction score
WHY? You and I both know that you will not achieve the 21mpgs. So why bother? And even if you will with 55 tops, ................. will you start driving like this every day then? Most likely not, so why does it matter?

sorry I was "having a laugh" as the Brits would say - not really going to do the uber-grandma trial - sorry to waste your time reading my foolish post.

Big Bad Allis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'll never get there on mileage. It's hard to keep the foot off the pedal with the 6.2L. I made a round trip from Grand Rapids to Detroit with the cruise set at 76 MPH. I drove it fairly easy to see what I could get for mileage. Average was 16.9 MPG hand calculated not trusting the DIC. The DIC showed that I got 18.2 MPG.

Jason

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
set your IDC to show "instant mileage" and V8/V4 mode.

once you get used to keeping it in V4 mode, your MPGs will go up.

A positive post by me for a change. :mfr_omg:

I've been driving around town following your suggestion for about two months, and provided no one is behind me, I've been accelerating slowly and coasting when coming to stop signs or red lights. I have to put an emphasis on "provided no one is behind me". My miles per gallon driving average has gone up quite a bit. :)

O.K. I've been positive enough for one day. :Big Laugh:

Last edited: