Expedition Max to Yukon XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is plenty good enough to tow that. I towed our 8000 tt with the wifes yukon/5.3 and it handled it just fine (kind of amazed me actually).

As far as air suspension goes…yes it can be troublesome.. but also phenomenal when working properly. With this new platform, there is currently no aftermarket support for air assist, and that has clearly been an issue with many people when reading over the forum. These rigs sit pretty damn level oem, so unless the wd hitch is setup perfectly and is actually “enough” to get everything leveled back up, you should expect the saggin-ass look when towing heavy.

mplunk

Reaction score
With all the talk on trans temps I hope the Yukon you're looking at has the max towing package, which includes the upgraded transmission radiator.

Also if you're into the tech stuff the tech that comes with that package is helpful as well. Specifically the trailer blind spot alert- when you have a trailer connected it extends the length of the trailer and comes on the second someone is next to it. I have the max tow on both my Escalade and Tahoe, tow with both of them, and love all the tech. Also gets you the integrated brake controller

gatorintx

Reaction score
Just gonna throw out another option for ya - the Wagoneer L. Has all the space you need, and with the tow package, it has a GVWR of 10k lbs, easily class-leading. We towed a 31 ft, 6500 lb trailer with my wife's Wagoneer last summer in the 100+ degree heat. It pulled easily with no issues whatsoever. The air ride suspension was great and auto-leveled the vehicle after attaching the trailer. Having said that, the Wagoneer is a turbocharged straight 6, so I understand if you're trying to get away from a turbo 6. I went for the 5.3L V8 on my Yukon XL that should be getting built next week, and it'll be our travel vehicle (we typically tow a camper once per year, though possibly will add another trip or two as the kiddos get older). I figured it's tried and true and should be able to manage what we need. Anyway, just some food for thought!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the talk on trans temps I hope the Yukon you're looking at has the max towing package, which includes the upgraded transmission radiator.

Also if you're into the tech stuff the tech that comes with that package is helpful as well. Specifically the trailer blind spot alert- when you have a trailer connected it extends the length of the trailer and comes on the second someone is next to it. I have the max tow on both my Escalade and Tahoe, tow with both of them, and love all the tech. Also gets you the integrated brake controller
This is a great point OP needs to consider when looking for a 6.2L - HD cooling only comes with Max Tow Pkg on gas engines. It's standard with the diesel. Easiest tell-tale when looking online at used ones is to look for the integrated trailer brake controller - just to the left of the steering wheel on the switch panel.

Also, Max Tow Pkg gets you the trailering menu which allows syncing trailer tpms sensors to monitor tire pressure and temperature.

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is a great point OP needs to consider when looking for a 6.2L - HD cooling only comes with Max Tow Pkg on gas engines. It's standard with the diesel. Easiest tell-tale when looking online at used ones is to look for the integrated trailer brake controller - just to the left of the steering wheel on the switch panel.

Also, Max Tow Pkg gets you the trailering menu which allows syncing trailer tpms sensors to monitor tire pressure and temperature.

100% - all of the Yukons I’ve looked at have the Max Trailering package. I wouldn’t even consider one without it.

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just gonna throw out another option for ya - the Wagoneer L. Has all the space you need, and with the tow package, it has a GVWR of 10k lbs, easily class-leading. We towed a 31 ft, 6500 lb trailer with my wife's Wagoneer last summer in the 100+ degree heat. It pulled easily with no issues whatsoever. The air ride suspension was great and auto-leveled the vehicle after attaching the trailer. Having said that, the Wagoneer is a turbocharged straight 6, so I understand if you're trying to get away from a turbo 6. I went for the 5.3L V8 on my Yukon XL that should be getting built next week, and it'll be our travel vehicle (we typically tow a camper once per year, though possibly will add another trip or two as the kiddos get older). I figured it's tried and true and should be able to manage what we need. Anyway, just some food for thought!

I’ve thought about them but don’t they have anemic payload capacities? I know something like a Denali XL can be had with about 1500lbs but I believe the Wagoneer L doesn’t even break 1400lbs when loaded with options?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wagoneers are pretty loaded with options - The more "stuff" the less payload, as I'm sure you're well aware.

For a reference point - my Yukon XL SLE Diesel - 9-Seat config has a payload of 1583lbs - go up to an SLT or Denali and that number only goes down from there. FYI - the 3.0 Duramax is about 65lbs heavier than the 6.2 V8 so you'll gain back a bit of payload if you go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malachismith