Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are going to hit showroom floors way earlier than I had expected. I thought it was going to be 2024 but it seems like it's going to be the second half of this year.

The introduction of the Sequoia and long wheel base Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneers will add to the supply in this segment.

Also, the extended length Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneers will have 4 additional gallons of capacity for fuel. The current versions have 26.5 gallons so 30.5 gallons will be class leading.
Wow, that'll add another $20 for a fill up nowadays, but that 6.4L doesn't get the greatest gas mileage.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that'll add another $20 for a fill up nowadays, but that 6.4L doesn't get the greatest gas mileage.
Yeah, but what is your time cost to need to go to the gas station 40-55 miles sooner? Or even, what is the asspain cost of needing to pull your tow vehicle and trailer into a small gas station more frequently?

Also, they will start to offer the new turbocharged inline 6 Hurricane engine series. The high output version reportedly puts out 510hp and 500 ft lbs of torque and is 1-2mpg more efficient than the outgoing engine across the board.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but what is your time cost to need to go to the gas station 40-55 miles sooner? Or even, what is the asspain cost of needing to pull your tow vehicle and trailer into a small gas station more frequently?

Also, they will start to offer the new turbocharged inline 6 Hurricane engine series. The high output version reportedly puts out 510hp and 500 ft lbs of torque and is 1-2mpg more efficient than the outgoing engine across the board.
I had a 26 gal tank on my '19 XL, on a trip to Florida it reduced my fuel stops. Even back in 2020 it seemed expensive to fill that tank

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or buy a Duramax and go 600+ miles per tank while traveling …which we do…
Diesel engines have their pitfalls. When they do have an issue, then it can be a cascading series of fails. They are also expensive and more complicated to maintain after 100k miles. It sure as heck is expensive to repair when they fail catastrophically.

Unless I'm frequently towing a trailer over 10,000lbs, I'd opt for a gas powertrain with the largest fuel tank possible.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Or buy a Duramax and go 600+ miles per tank while traveling …which we do…
I won't lie - I live in NY and I never heard of a single person who wants to own a diesel engine car for everyday use....until I came to this site.

I actually am amazed how many people want or own a diesel engine car lol

Wwes

Reaction score
I won't lie - I live in NY and I never heard of a single person who wants to own a diesel engine car for everyday use....until I came to this site.

I actually am amazed how many people want or own a diesel engine car lol
I have both (5.3 V8 and 6.6 Duramax) in two trucks. Around town, hands down the 5.3 is the one to have.
The in-town mileage is very similar; on the highway, or tuggin', is when the diesel shines.

GM diesels use both DPF and DEF. DPF is the exhaust "screen" that collects soot and burns it off. Requires elevated idle and high temps. DEF is the urea-based fluid that shoots into the exhaust stream to trap soot. Must be filled periodically.

With the DPF and regen cycles, I wouldn't want to drive a diesel in town for a commuter car.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I have both (5.3 V8 and 6.6 Duramax) in two trucks. Around town, hands down the 5.3 is the one to have.
The in-town mileage is very similar; on the highway, or tuggin', is when the diesel shines.

GM diesels use both DPF and DEF. DPF is the exhaust "screen" that collects soot and burns it off. Requires elevated idle and high temps. DEF is the urea-based fluid that shoots into the exhaust stream to trap soot. Must be filled periodically.

With the DPF and regen cycles, I wouldn't want to drive a diesel in town for a commuter car.

Interesting. Diesel by me is also now over $1.50 more a gallon than regular....and some stations don't even have diesel. Regular has been going down every week, lowest I've seen it was $3.69. Diesel still sits at $5.29

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Yukon XL and Suburban will have another competitor in the market space sooner than expected. The Wagoneer L and Grand Wagoneer L will hit the market right around the time the Sequoia does.
The interior looks pretty nice but my goodness they have produced a FAIL on the exterior. That is one ugly duckling right there

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interior looks pretty nice but my goodness they have produced a FAIL on the exterior. That is one ugly duckling right there
I agree. But I've also come to realize that looks are more subjective than anything else.

Either way, the injection of three new competitors to GM since late 2021 will eventually affect GM:
- 2023 Wagoneer L/Grand Wagoneer L
- 2023 Toyota Sequioa
- 2022 Ford Expedition with the updated interior since deliveries started in Q2 of 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeesy

Latest posts