Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tights24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The market is still crazy hot for used vehicles. Just traded in my wife's Lincoln MKC because they offered us 23K for it. It was a 2018 with 60K miles on it and was the lowest trim level at premier. It's nuts. As for the tahoes/yukons, I would never order one from the factory, but that's just me and I have no issues with how people spend their own money. Just don't see the benefit honestly of owning brand new and spending 80K at a minimum when I can get a low mileage equivalent for thousands less. I've heard stories of people paying north of 95K for a new yukon. To me that's just nuts.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think paying $95k for a new Yukon is crazy - I can only imagine what you'd think about paying $90-95k for a USED Yukon....

Used 2021/2022 Tahoes and Yukons are bringing more than the original MSRP - to the extent half of the higher end used car dealers (or other new car dealers) in our area are buying up new Tahoes/Yukons at sticker or a couple grand over and then flipping them for $5-10k over.

The dealer we ordered our Z71 Tahoe from (at sticker) said he had a standing offer from a broker (not even a dealer) for $8k over any Z71 Tahoe...this was back in Feb

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean....if i can get $12k under MSRP for the car that I really want right now.....100% sign me up it doesn't matter where I have to go.

But I haven't read about a single person on here buy a Tahoe or Yukon under MSRP. I've seen a handful of people say they've bought a used one over MSRP.

Is waiting 1-2 years worth saving $1,2,3 or 4k under MSRP? Not to me. Do i think I can get one under $5k or more MSRP next year.... I don't think so. The fact there are people paying almost $10k over MSRP for these specific cars USED means dealers are not going to budge like they have in the past. When times are tough for people, they're generally not tough for people who can afford a $60, $70 or $80k car.

I'll eat my words if these cars go for under $10k MSRP next year, but I don't see it happening. Recession, rising gas prices etc....I don't see it changing.
Personally, I think waiting 1-2 years to save 3-7k under MSRP and have a car that has a mid cycle enhancement tends to be worth while.

I think we'll start seeing retail inventory on dealer lots in the second half of 2023. I think we'll start seeing substantial discounts in 2024. I think the Fed would have broken the system and be in a position where they might have to back pedal by then.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in the AT4 pick up and saw a nice one on the used side of the dealer lot, I could have gotten a new one for the price on the window. Looks like I'll wait a while.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we'll start seeing retail inventory on dealer lots in the second half of 2023. I think we'll start seeing substantial discounts in 2024. I think the Fed would have broken the system and be in a position where they might have to back pedal by then.
Well, this was said a year ago too, and we are no better off one year later. If you need a vehicle in the next 6 month this is little consolation, if it even comes true. We haven't even begun to get to the end of this chip situation yet, and as the war progresses and degrades, the supply chain for chips will get even tighter. (80% of chip raw material comes from Russia and Ukraine.)
The Ukraine situation will greatly reduce the global markets and dependency on foreign products. We are 1 conflict away with China over Taiwan, from REAL supply chain issues and shortages. Quietly, American managers are looking to resource parts that are in critical/conflict areas of the world. That won't be easy, but necessary and will come at a price...

Vehicles like Tahoe's and Yukon's, especially loaded ones that aren't missing chips, will be in demand long into the future... Like housing, everybody wants one and there aren't enough around...

GoHeels

Reaction score
But I haven't read about a single person on here buy a Tahoe or Yukon under MSRP. I've seen a handful of people say they've bought a used one over MSRP.

There are a couple people that have been fortunate enough to pay under MSRP and I'm one of them. Granted I used a supplier pricing code and spoke with several dealerships before I found one that was willing to accept. It saved approx 5% off MSRP.

I also recall someone posting about a dealership in Idaho that was selling just above invoice and no supplier/employee code required. Can't recall the name & too lazy to look it up.

Point being that discounts are available but you are going to have to search for them.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Personally, I think waiting 1-2 years to save 3-7k under MSRP and have a car that has a mid cycle enhancement tends to be worth while.
I need a second car yesterday, so i can't wait.

My alternative of like a 2 year lease to wait it out would cost me over $10k easily...so it's really not worth it.

Plus, for the next 2 years I'm going to be upset that I am not driving a Tahoe lol

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
There are a couple people that have been fortunate enough to pay under MSRP and I'm one of them. Granted I used a supplier pricing code and spoke with several dealerships before I found one that was willing to accept. It saved approx 5% off MSRP.

I also recall someone posting about a dealership in Idaho that was selling just above invoice and no supplier/employee code required. Can't recall the name & too lazy to look it up.

Point being that discounts are available but you are going to have to search for them.

Someone brought up a funny point on here about how this community forum is nowhere like the outside world. They mentioned seeing another Tahoe car owner at a car wash and when he mentioned lifter issues the guy looked at him like he was speaking gibberish. Most people have no idea what that even means because most people don’t have issues with their cars, it’s the small community on here who come here to complain about them

I think that also applies to purchasing. 90%+ of the people buying these cars are not leaving their local dealer market. Maybe 5% will go out of state to a neighboring state. Less than 1% are traveling several hours and hopping on flights to get a good deal.

I’m in New York…it’s just not feasible to track down dealerships in Idaho to purchase a car. Sure I’d love to save $5k off MSRP….but having to plan a trip to Idaho to buy a car when I have a full time job and kids seems crazy.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember seeing in a post a month or so ago that the Idaho dealer was already at least a year out ...not sure if that was expected delivery or ordering...

thats the issue with GM's ordering process vs other brands...some of the other manufacturers allow for a sold order to not be affected by the allocation process whereas GMs process does...

The $5k off MSRP wouldn't be as beneficial if there are local dealers selling at sticker...the math becomes a little more complicated if all the area dealers are all $10k over...

On the Ram HD forums there are a lot of west coast buyers where their dealers are $5k-10K over...buying from a dealer in LA for 11-12% off MSRP...and then paying $1500-2k in shipping and still saving over $10k from what they could buy one locally...

others buyers that may be within an afternoon's drive...ordering from a local dealer at sticker, putting down at $1k nonrefundable deposit, going online to research their order and finding out that there are dealers not only discounting the exact same truck, but pricing them below employee price....so they forfeit the deposit and still save $7-8k+...

If the Idaho dealer was $10k under what I could buy one locally, and the wait wasn't going to be 12-18 months, I'd buy one in a heartbeat and have it shipped...which neither of those conditions are true....but there are also those that wouldn't even consider going through such a process no matter the savings...to each their own

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Remember seeing in a post a month or so ago that the Idaho dealer was already at least a year out ...not sure if that was expected delivery or ordering...

thats the issue with GM's ordering process vs other brands...some of the other manufacturers allow for a sold order to not be affected by the allocation process whereas GMs process does...

The $5k off MSRP wouldn't be as beneficial if there are local dealers selling at sticker...the math becomes a little more complicated if all the area dealers are all $10k over...

On the Ram HD forums there are a lot of west coast buyers where their dealers are $5k-10K over...buying from a dealer in LA for 11-12% off MSRP...and then paying $1500-2k in shipping and still saving over $10k from what they could buy one locally...

others buyers that may be within an afternoon's drive...ordering from a local dealer at sticker, putting down at $1k nonrefundable deposit, going online to research their order and finding out that there are dealers not only discounting the exact same truck, but pricing them below employee price....so they forfeit the deposit and still save $7-8k+...

If the Idaho dealer was $10k under what I could buy one locally, and the wait wasn't going to be 12-18 months, I'd buy one in a heartbeat and have it shipped...which neither of those conditions are true....but there are also those that wouldn't even consider going through such a process no matter the savings...to each their own

I just saw the Idaho posting. Their price slight above invoice price calculated out to approx. $4k under MSRP

Not sure what it costs to ship a car cross country, but I can’t imagine it’s cheap for me in NY. Plus, god forbid there are any issues with the vehicle during transit how am I going to work with a dealer in Idaho???

Seems like way to much work and if you have issues it seems like it’ll be full of headaches for most people. If I can spend $70k on a car, do I really need to make my life complicated to save a few thousand bucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunRae48