Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Japanese SUVs, big and small, are no comparison to the American made models. The styling doesn't catch my eye at all, some models are just plain ugly.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That brand might as well be dead. It's like Saturn or Pontiac.
You must be referring to Infinty? Nissan seems to be one of the most popular car brands on the road. Lots of their cars are gross looking but then they make some of the most badass cars around like the GTR. And those butt ugly nissan NV work vans are absolutely everywhere. I drove one for work for years (when I had a 9-5 job) and that thing was massive and could hold so much stuff. Re-styled frontier looks great too

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Nissan/Infinity also have a large suv so must account for some of the sales too. But lets face it people are really obsessed with how they look/how people perceive you. You pull up in a new escalade or denali and the other people that care about that kind of thing take notice. You pull up in a toyota or nissan and nobody cares. It's really quite pathetic but very much true. That's what keeps GM on top, they are known as the most luxurious vehicles America has to offer and that's what many people want to drive. Vehicles are status symbols
When you're spending $60k, 70k or 80k+ on a vehicle, yes it is a status symbol more times than not in my opinion.

Last time I checked, the Traverse and Arcadia still have plenty of room.....

That's why I also think Toyota isn't going to do much in this space. The top trim Sequoia is over $70k. That's is insanely expensive for that brand....

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd ever choose diesel unless it was a 1 ton HD pickup truck that I anticipate towing a > 10,000lbs enclosed car trailer/toy hauler. I would want the diesel primary due to its exhaust braking. If there was some type of hybrid powertrain gas 1 ton HD, I would seriously consider it if it were not a gimmick and actually functional in a similar way to a diesel powertrain.

I have the two ends of the spectrum...honda accord as a daily and a dually for the horse trailers...used to only have the truck but during the last gas spike I filled up for $125 after work (diesel was $4.15) and went home and crunched the numbers and the gas saver now pays for itself...on my 4th accord (average about 40k/yr on them)

Flip side is the new dually has a 50 gallon tank, its all the same money, but the $200 at the pump the other day still stung. Local diesel prices are $4.95+...was able to find a station along my route at $4.49, about 45 seconds on the gasbuddy paid for my lunch...ha

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My choice today if I was looking for a small car might be a Japanese car, they might not be the sharpest looking but they are built to last. The Japanese take pride in their quality and workmanship of their vehicles. It would be an easy choice over some of these electric cars on the road.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM sold more Tahoes in the USA in 2021 then any year prior

2021 was GM's 3rd best year in terms of Yukon's sold. 2022 they're on pace to sell 84k, which is 10k more cars than their best years (2018 & 2019)

This is during an industry wide shortage of vehicles. Where the majority of people are paying over MSRP.

Your go to Koons Vienna to go buy a Wagoneer at XYZ price doesn't apply to 95% of the people who purchase cars. People shop within their market. Very few go out of state and if they do, its to a neighboring state. It is rare for your local market to have dealers who are all over the place....they typically are pretty competitive. Sure there usually is one whos the cheapest or the favorite and one dealer who's absurdly expensive...but they're both still selling cars.

yep - and the few local dealers that used to be more aggressive in pricing now just fall in line with their peers..."we're at sticker and require a xxxx deposit"...just like the 5-6-7-8 other dealers within a decent driving distance.

Generally speaking the local dealerships in our area (across all brands) don't have the large "add-ons" so the only real difference is availability and amount/type of deposit. Surprisingly the deposits vary quite a bit..the tahoe we have on order required a $1k refundable deposit, couple of GM dealers are $1k but NON-refundable, then there's a $500 non-refundable dealer and then a couple that aren't even requiring a deposit

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the majority of Japanese cars in the USA are made in Mexico
I have a 2014 Honda Pilot - built in Lincoln, AL

I also have a 2017 Honda Accord - built in Marysville, OH

Yes, there is some Toyota/Honda production in Mexico, but many of their popular models, RAV4, CR-V, Ridgeline, Highlander, Pilot, etc. are all built in the USA.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Honda Pilot - built in Lincoln, AL

I also have a 2017 Honda Accord - built in Marysville, OH

Yes, there is some Toyota/Honda production in Mexico, but many of their popular models, RAV4, CR-V, Ridgeline, Highlander, Pilot, etc. are all built in the USA.
I think Nissan produced a ton of their cars there. Oddly enough... I believe GM makes a lot of their cars there now too unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe guy