Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
If GM doesn't step up its production game, why would Jeep stop production if there's a market and it's selling in sufficient volume to make a profit?

I don’t know too many people who would buy a Jeep at those prices just because they can’t get a Tahoe or Yukon immediately.

GM is making hand over fist and selling more full size SUVs then ever during an auto industry shortage.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I wouldn't spent $80k on a Toyota. Then again I wouldn't spend $80k on a Tahoe or a Suburban. The only Chevy that's worth $80k is the Corvette in my opinion.

Well unless you get a high country that’s fully loaded you’re not spending $80k if you can buy a Tahoe at MSRP. And the Denali caps out at around $84k. Fully loaded

Starting MSRP of the baseline Grand Wagoneer is $88k. That’s BAREBONES.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I'll bet that $80k toyota is worth more than a $80k gm 5 years down the road. Toyotas have always held very high resale values as they are known for reliability and quality of builds. The same cannot be said of new GM products unfortunately

Well Toyota never really sold Seqouias brand new in volume anyway. They barely cracked over 10k a year in sales. GM can sells that many Tahoes in their best 2 weeks

So what’s the used market look like for a Sequoia lol

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet that $80k toyota is worth more than a $80k gm 5 years down the road. Toyotas have always held very high resale values as they are known for reliability and quality of builds. The same cannot be said of new GM products unfortunately

First sentence may hold true, but the latest batch of 2022 Tundra owners are sure not a happy group of campers. Many reports of turbo waste gate failures and glitchy electronics. If this continues or spreads to other "refreshed" models than all bets are off.

My expectation is that first model year vehicles always have issues to be worked out. I wouldn't buy a 1st year Toyota just like I wouldn't buy any other first year vehicle from any manufacturer.

The difference becomes how long does it take manufacturers to work out the issues and improve reliability.

Toyota - 2nd year is okay
GM/BMW - 3rd year is preferable
Stellantis - it's going to take them to the 4th year to iron out issues

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know too many people who would buy a Jeep at those prices just because they can’t get a Tahoe or Yukon immediately.

GM is making hand over fist and selling more full size SUVs then ever during an auto industry shortage.

But who isn't?

Well unless you get a high country that’s fully loaded you’re not spending $80k if you can buy a Tahoe at MSRP. And the Denali caps out at around $84k. Fully loaded

Starting MSRP of the baseline Grand Wagoneer is $88k. That’s BAREBONES.
I'd rather have a "barebones" Grand Wagoneer than a loaded Wagoneer.

I'd rather have a "barebones" Yukon XL Denali than a loaded Suburban.

It was the same for my BMW when I bought it. I'd rather have a bare bones 335i with all the functional performance options than a loaded 328i. Just like I'd rather have a "barebones" M3 over a loaded 335i/340i/M340i.

Again, I've mentioned this before. MSRP is one thing but the action market selling price to ME is what matters to ME. If someone can't wait or won't travel, that's not my problem - they failure to plan isn't my problem.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone is different but there is no way I'd buy a GM without a discount and I'm not talking suppliers. Do people get a fix overpaying must be like *******, God's way of saying you have too much money.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
My expectation is that first model year vehicles always have issues to be worked out. I wouldn't buy a 1st year Toyota just like I wouldn't buy any other first year vehicle from any manufacturer.

The difference becomes how long does it take manufacturers to work out the issues and improve reliability.

Toyota - 2nd year is okay
GM/BMW - 3rd year is preferable
Stellantis - it's going to take them to the 4th year to iron out issues

The Wagoneer will be discontinued before they can figure out how to fix it lol.

Sequoias won’t sell for 70k. Gonna be funny

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I'd rather have a "barebones" Grand Wagoneer than a loaded Wagoneer.

I'd rather have a "barebones" Yukon XL Denali than a loaded Suburban.

You’re a unique and uncommon buyer.

We’ve already established that you’ll wait 1-2 years for car so you can pay slightly over invoice. People in the market to spend $60, 70 and $80k plus on a car can afford to not have to wait. They’ll settle for MSRP.

And we’ve seen the group that will even go over. Now we see both in agreement that going over is crazy. But it’s not my money. But it’s only going to make things worse for everyone going forward.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re a unique and uncommon buyer.

We’ve already established that you’ll wait 1-2 years for car so you can pay slightly over invoice. People in the market to spend $60, 70 and $80k plus on a car can afford to not have to wait. They’ll settle for MSRP.

And we’ve seen the group that will even go over. Now we see both in agreement that going over is crazy. But it’s not my money. But it’s only going to make things worse for everyone going forward.
It's a matter of perspectives. My last two cars were factory orders which took 3-6 months for delivery even when the market was a buyer's market. It's always a challenge figuring out what your needs are in the next 5 years but I don't want to "get caught with my pants down" and have to settle for something that's not exactly the way I want it. So my GF and I end up pre-ordering what we think we will need in the next 2-10 years.

I would argue that most people in the market near me that have single family homes with 3-4 car garages planning spend $60-80k on a car usually have an extra/backup car and can wait out the market for a bit.

My GF and I each have our own car and we have a "backup" car just in case one of our primary vehicles goes down, we can still get around while I get it on our lift and diagnose the issue. I also have a work car to commute to and from work.

I don't consider us far from having "F U" money where a 10+k market adjustment means nothing. My neighbors aren't buying new cars either. Most appear or have indicated they are just going to ride out it out until the market returns to normal.

My position is that I refuse to "get owned" if I can help it and hence that's why I'm okay waiting it out 3-5 years if necessary. Someone else can eat that bullet before me.

But it's entirely possible that if you don't live in an "exurb" but rather a city, the storage and insurance costs of an extra vehicle are substantial that it doesn't make sense to have an extra/back up car since it may end up exceeding the market adjustment over MSRP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattmoore939