Exploding driveshafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do us SUVs with 4x4 have the same exploding driveshaft issue over 100 mph?

I am modding my engine to about 420 rwhp and this concerns me to say the least.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you intend to go over 100mph routinely get custom shafts made.

Thanks.

I won't on the street, but this truck may trap close to 100 in the 1/4. I'll go from time to time.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine at that speed and power level with good stock type parts
that are in excellent condition... I'm upgrading all my U Joints to the spicer
HD Joints without the grease zerk - no grease zerk means they are stronger, but
you can't maintain them. Dana/Moog/ Spicer - just find the HD versions w/o the
zerk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do us SUVs with 4x4 have the same exploding driveshaft issue over 100 mph?

I am modding my engine to about 420 rwhp and this concerns me to say the least.

The critical speed of our driveshafts is mathematically 4,556 rpms. That comes out to 122 MPH with the tires worn down to 2/32nds tread or 45 MPH with the same tires in 4LO.

If you want to go faster, you need a thicker and or larger diameter driveshaft.

The critical speed of the front driveshaft is 5,000 rpms which is good for 134 MPH or 50 MPH in 4LO.

The driveshaft in my truck is steel, .083" thick with a 3.5" diameter and tube length of 53-1/2 inches. Yours should be the same.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 2500 up to an indicated 120, once.

Was just curious what she could do. The shocking thing to me was how I could feel the front end getting light due to aerodynamic lift. This is a 6500-lb truck, and she was getting floaty. I would guess I have a heavier duty driveshaft, but yes, if you intend to do it multiple times, an upgrade might be in order.

Do the Denali trucks get an upgraded driveshaft for the 6.2? That's 400 HP. If you're going for 420 rwhp, that's 500ish at the crank, I'd be looking at upgrades to the driveshaft, u-joints and rear end.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I am going to set my speed limiter in the tune to 105 MPH and forget about it.

This is something that may happen once a year. All I wanted with this truck was for it to not be anemic from 0 to cruising speeds and maybe to have some fun with a civic or something lol.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver i thought the 4w low selection caused gearing changes in the TC. Are you implying it does something else since 45 mph in low is the same scenario as 122 mph in HI. Driveshaft speed should be correlated to wheel rotating speed no mater which selector your TC has correct? I may be confused. Educate me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgorabit

Latest posts