External Transmission Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
Got the external transmission filter installed today. NAPA did not have the hydraulic filter I wanted. p/n1269 so I used another one I had in the shop till it came in. Went to Home Depot to get (2) 3/8th's brass barbs to splice into the cooler line coming out of the radiator. I'm sure there could have been a better way of doing this, but since I've done this on my JEEP and has worked for several years that way I decided to do it the same way. Found a bracket in my shop to mount the filter adapter to the brace next to the firewall. Now I can change this filter more often and not have to worry about the internal filter, as it's a pain to replace, it's a 4x4 so you may know what I mean. Also, when it comes time to replace ALL the ATF in the system, just simply disconnect the input line at the external filter and stick the hose in a milk jug and pump out the old stuff. I ran 16 quarts thru the system and took maybe 10 minutes to do. Now the transmission has new filters and new oil in it. Maybe it will be happy for awhile.

P5170001_zps2f21c124.jpg

P5170002_zps1ce9676d.jpg

P5170003_zpsd9e207cc.jpg

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up.

May I ask what you ended up spending?
I have found external filters with hoses from $35 all the way up to $100.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
Nice write up.

May I ask what you ended up spending?
I have found external filters with hoses from $35 all the way up to $100.

The adapter was $37 and the 7' worth of oil cooler hose was $25 and the brass barb fittings was about $3. I already had the bracket, nuts, bolts and temp filter. Although the filter I will be using is $13

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
I like it, nice install. If I could offer one suggestion though. Spray that mounting plate (on top of the support arm) black to blend in a little more.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
I like it, nice install. If I could offer one suggestion though. Spray that mounting plate (on top of the support arm) black to blend in a little more.

You can't see the mounting plate, it's under that support arm. What you see is the way it came from the factory. But, I do know what you mean. Thanks :waytogo:

thechevyman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How has this been working for you?
How many miles on your truck when you installed it?

I just purchased a 2003 Yukon Denali XL with 103k miles on it. I plan to use this as a tow vehicle for my 2003 Jeep Rubicon. So I want to take very good care of the transmission.

My transmission is operating perfectly and the fluid looks great. I just did a pan drop and changed the filter at 104k miles (I'm sure it was the first service) and I would like this set up for future service. I just bought the same external filter kit you have and plan to install it this week.

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think this external filter might impede the flow from the trans to the cooler?

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't. In fact your adding more tubing which in turn might aid in cooling.

I have not tried this myself but have read a lot about it. A lot of diesel guys use them and swear by it.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess as long as you have a kit in the valve body, it will increase the flow to the cooler so it shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
How has this been working for you?
How many miles on your truck when you installed it?

I just purchased a 2003 Yukon Denali XL with 103k miles on it. I plan to use this as a tow vehicle for my 2003 Jeep Rubicon. So I want to take very good care of the transmission.

My transmission is operating perfectly and the fluid looks great. I just did a pan drop and changed the filter at 104k miles (I'm sure it was the first service) and I would like this set up for future service. I just bought the same external filter kit you have and plan to install it this week.

This setup is working great. Although I installed this filter at about 118k IIRC, and now have about 128k on it. The fluid was black and nasty and I'm sure the PO never changed the fllter of ATF. I pumped out all the old ATF in the system then added the filter. After 10k miles, the fluid looks brand new again.

I use this system on all of my rides with auto's and have so for many years. Not once have I had a problem with any of them. :)

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Do you think this external filter might impede the flow from the trans to the cooler?

Not at all. You can remove the input line from this filter and time how long it takes to fill a gallon jug. Then remove the output line from the filter and do the same test. The flow rate is the same. Now, I'm sure if the filter gets plugged up that might decrease the flow, but as often as I change them,that will never happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968