External Transmission Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
John, I've got all I need to do this now. All I need to know is the style or exact pat number of the filter adaptor, as this part was not mentioned in your list. Also, what kind of a bracket did you use? Can I find something at homedepot? If not my uncle can make me one. Is it just a long L bracket?

Thanks!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

^^^^^^^ never mind on the adaptor. Is this it? "The adapter I ordered is made by Derale p/n DER-13049"

Guess we just need to know about the bracket..... thanks!!! :)

Yes, that is the adapter I used on this truck. The bracket is just a heavy duty L bracket I found in the roofing department in Home Depot. The filter, most important part is from Napa p/n 1269. You will be glad you're doing this. Will save money and time.

John

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered all my parts for this including the tru-cool max cooler. I'll be tackling this very soon.

Cameron

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next to a catch can, this is a great addition. Keeping your ATF cool and clean will greatly help it to a long life..........unless your throwing 400+hp at it daily, then all beats are off.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how often would you change the external filter to be on the safe side? I'm **** and will drop my pan and change the fluid and pan filter ever 15,000 miles. Now that I have all this installed, my pan dropping days are over for a long time.

Cash_88

Reaction score
how often would you change the external filter to be on the safe side? I'm **** and will drop my pan and change the fluid and pan filter ever 15,000 miles. Now that I have all this installed, my pan dropping days are over for a long time.
Anytime sounds appropriate, or in your case at the same interval you would change the pan filter

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upper line is the pressure line out of trans...lower line should be return into trans.

Cameron

You're guessing. And guessing isn't giving sound advice, its just guessing. Though it makes no sense, the lower line is the pressure line. And no, it wouldn't matter which one you tap. This is a clever idea though I'm not hip to the whole drain 16 quarts into a bucket idea. I don't like the idea of the tranny pumping itself dry. Most fluid changes only get about half the fluid, so I'd pump out 6 quarts and stop, that way I knew the trans still had lubrication.

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
You're guessing. And guessing isn't giving sound advice, its just guessing. Though it makes no sense, the lower line is the pressure line. And no, it wouldn't matter which one you tap. This is a clever idea though I'm not hip to the whole drain 16 quarts into a bucket idea. I don't like the idea of the tranny pumping itself dry. Most fluid changes only get about half the fluid, so I'd pump out 6 quarts and stop, that way I knew the trans still had lubrication.

It won't. You can only pump out what's in the pan. Of course you don't want to run the pump for a length of time with out any ATF in the pan. There is still plenty of ATF in the torque converter that needs to come out, which is all 16 quarts.

I pump out 4 quarts, put in 4 quarts. Repeat process until all 16 quarts have been replaced.

Been doing this process for over 30 years now on various vehicles with out any problems.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

I use a hydraulic filter that filters down to 10 microns. So at first I changed the filter every 6k and it was dirty. Now that the system is cleaned up I'll cut the filter open at 12~15k to see what it looks like and go from there.

The ones installed on my JEEP's I replace every 12~15k miles.

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it, but how do you tap into the transmission lines? Looks to me like you cut that hard line and use some kind of crimp on fitting to connect the rubber hose???

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it, but how do you tap into the transmission lines? Looks to me like you cut that hard line and use some kind of crimp on fitting to connect the rubber hose???

On post #11 you can see how I cut the rubber hose and then used a 3/8th's brass bard fitting to connect the rubber hoses. There are better ways of doing this, it's just the route I took.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Digging up an oldish thread. I'm planning on doing this along with a 30k cooler and a Sonnax Line pressure booster. Hoping to help my old trans live as long as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968