External Transmission Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks really great. Can you list the part numbers of the filter and the filter base? I guess I can get this at NAPA or CARQUEST. So if I install this after a fresh pan drop and filter change I should not have to replace the pan filter again so long as I replace the spin on filter? I drop the pant every 18months or 10K miles...... I'm pretty ****. How long do the spin on filters last?

Thanks!

Mr. 960

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in this...am I to understand that you're still using the filter in the pan?

I can see this definitely improving/lengthening the life of the filter in the pan but not eliminating the need for change. Any input on change intervals or modding for a filterless lower pickup?

Can you list the part numbers of the filter and the filter base?
Look at the last post on page 1. He has part numbers.

Cameron

Last edited:

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what transmission cooling line coming out of the radiator did you splice into? The top or the bottom? I think the bottom feeds into the rad and the top one returns to the external cooler then goes back to the trans correct? did you cut the line?

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upper line is the pressure line out of trans...lower line should be return into trans.

Cameron

OP
OP
J

JBTJ

Reaction score
that looks really great. Can you list the part numbers of the filter and the filter base? I guess I can get this at NAPA or CARQUEST. So if I install this after a fresh pan drop and filter change I should not have to replace the pan filter again so long as I replace the spin on filter? I drop the pant every 18months or 10K miles...... I'm pretty ****. How long do the spin on filters last?

Thanks!

Mr. 960

If you go back and read my posts, I listed parts needed there. Yes, NAPA has all the parts you need. I use a NAPA filter 1269 for hydraulic systems. It can filter down to 10 microns which is about 100 times better than the internal filter. So, change this filter a couple times a year and your good to go. You will only be wasting time and money replacing the internal filter as this external filter cleans the ATF before the internal one does, and does a much better job doing so.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

I'm really interested in this...am I to understand that you're still using the filter in the pan?

I can see this definitely improving/lengthening the life of the filter in the pan but not eliminating the need for change. Any input on change intervals or modding for a filterless lower pickup?

Look at the last post on page 1. He has part numbers.

Cameron

If the external filter cleans the ATF before the internal filter and does a far better job, they why change out the internal filter? It will only be spotless. As I have found out with my JEEPS that have had thousands of miles on them and the internal filter looks as it did the day it was installed. The internal filter isn't much of a filter. Just a piece of felt basically to catch the bigger stuff. I don't see how having a filter less lower pickup will benefit a thing.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

If you're going to run an external filter, why not remove the internal filter completely?

Why? What will you gain from that?

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

so what transmission cooling line coming out of the radiator did you splice into? The top or the bottom? I think the bottom feeds into the rad and the top one returns to the external cooler then goes back to the trans correct? did you cut the line?

I used the top one. I'm not really sure it matters. Either way, the ATF if filtered before it returns to the transmission.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, I've got all I need to do this now. All I need to know is the style or exact pat number of the filter adaptor, as this part was not mentioned in your list. Also, what kind of a bracket did you use? Can I find something at homedepot? If not my uncle can make me one. Is it just a long L bracket?

Thanks!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

^^^^^^^ never mind on the adaptor. Is this it? "The adapter I ordered is made by Derale p/n DER-13049"

Guess we just need to know about the bracket..... thanks!!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968